Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem installing NEW/OLD drivers of my Graphic Card

Problem installing NEW/OLD drivers of my Graphic Card
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:05:25 am »
??? I'm not so sure that this is the right forum to post it in, But I do hope that reply will come soon (Thanks in advance) ???

I have a gigabyte W576V with GeForce 9600M GS in it.
My computer has a problem when I try to install any *.msi file to it saying somthin about the package not installed bla bla bla
My research brought up that because I moved my "documents and settings" folder (I use XP Pro SP3) to another patition, the windows installer doesn't recognize the package and refuse to install it.

(*)Got to that conclusion by taking the msi file from my temp folder in my user directory -> moved it to c:\ (where original windows is installed) and install works.

Now comes the problem:
I tried to update my graphic driver, and because the control panel uses an msi install the install fails. Problem is: none of the rollbacks works now and I CAN'T use my old method because the install is automatic and crashes before I can change folder and do the trick mantioned in (*).

Question is:
How to solve the MSI installer bug? Or does anyone has any idea how to Install the Nvidia drivers without the Control Panel?
I am currently using the original windows VGA driver which are very annoying and not operate able (plus I got a graphic assignment due in 2 days, so time is very important to find and solution to any nvidia drivers)

Any reference to any solution will be welcome, though if you can fix the installer problem that would be a great plus

Please move this question to any forum necessary if u need.

Thanks again in advance

MadBafla   :'(

venganza

• Pics of my junk
Re: Problem installing NEW/OLD drivers of my Graphic Card
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
What I would do is simply:

1)  delete any drivers in control panel (including PhysX)

2) Use DriverSweeper to get rid of any remnants

3) Delete the entry for your graphics card in Device manager itself

4) You can search registry for instances referring to drivrs/installer, but I do NOT recommend this, it isn't for the feint hearted.

Windows will re-detect your GPU next reboot and use vanilla drivers, then you should be able to install your drivers hopefully.

There are other way to go about it, but that is what I normally do when things get messy :)
Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".