Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z270-GAMING K3 Boot Loop, 5 beeps without RAM, no beeps with RAM

Duecez

I recently purchased a GA-Z270-GAMING K3 and have been experiencing some issues. I was able to install Windows perfectly fine, and the system ran well for about two weeks.

The first issue that I encountered was with the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error. The system would freeze up and make a grating sound for 5-10 seconds, and then would go back to normal within 30 seconds or so. I updated my GPU driver, but my PC BSOD'd during the update. Fortunately I was able to reboot and reapplied the update.

After this I started to have more BSODs. I ran startup repair to attempt to fix the issue.

Now my system will not POST. It will power on for about 30 seconds before shutting down and auto restarting. The motherboard will make no sound when the RAM is plugged in, but will produce 5 long beeps when there is no RAM installed.

I have tried pretty much everything that I can think of to troubleshoot the problem:

• I have reseated the GPU
  • I have reseated the CPU and reapplied thermal paste
  • I have reseated the motherboard in the case
  • I have tried my RAM in all of the DDR4 slots
  • I have tried using a lower clock speed RAM (2133)
  • I have tried to clear CMOS with the jumper and by removing the CMOS battery for several minutes
  • I have tried using an identical CMOS battery from another GIGABYTE motherboard
  • I have attempted to boot with only the CPU, heatsink fan, and RAM
  • I have jump started the PSU on its own to confirm that it is able to run
  • I have checked the CPU and CPU socket with a magnifying glass and did not see any bent pins or other damage
  • And I have worn an anti static bracelet while troubleshooting and during installation

I think that the issue lies with the motherboard itself and that the CPU is not dead. I have been able to boot and get into BIOS a couple of times while troubleshooting the system, but have not been able to now. Most recently, I was able to get into BIOS once with only one stick of RAM, my CPU, and heatsink plugged in, but I have been unable to get into BIOS again with the identical configuration.

I'm at my wits end at this point. Is there anything else that I can try to fix the problem? Do I just need to RMA the board?

Build:
GA-Z270-GAMING K3 Rev 1.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB
i7-7770K 4.2 Ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Windows 7 64bit
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:34:24 am by Duecez »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Shipping BIOS is F2.  What BIOS rev are you running and did you upgrade recently?

Have you tried invoking the back up BIOS?

Confirm all connections.

Remove all components except CPU, CPU Fan and one stick of RAM.  Connect a monitor directly (no adapters) to the onboard DVI or HDMI port.  Remove power from board, press and hold power button for 10 sec.  Remove the MB battery.  Wait a couple of minutes.  Reinsert the MB batt, reconnect power and attempt to boot.  If the same behavior, try invoking the back up BIOS. 

Don't have a way of knowing     
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW