Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA AB350 Gaming 3 Bricked?

CJ17

GA AB350 Gaming 3 Bricked?
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:21:46 am »
So new to the Forums here and not for a good reason sadly.

Got my AB350 Gaming 3 board working nicely with a new Ryzen 1700 processor installed.

A few teething problems but nothing major. Everything seems to be working ok.

Anyway - installed the Gigabyte App Center and all the associated apps, working away in Windows 10 getting it setup how I wanted and then the "Gigabyte Firmware Updater" pops up saying there's updated firmware and do you want to install. (not sure what it's meaning as I'd already updated the bios to F6)

Now I know what you're going to say and I'm kicking myself that I trusted it but I clicked ok and off it went......

Firmware updated and now it's going to reboot automatically...... or not.....

So it's frozen and theres not much I can do but reboot and pray.

and now I'm looking at a bricked motherboard it appears - powers up but does nothing with the CPU warning led showing and that's it.

Tried invoking the backup bios, clearing cmos etc but nothing's helping.

I'm pretty much resigned to it being an expensive mistake and never updating firmware in windows again.

Unless there's any last ditch attempts at salvaging it anyone can suggest?

In the meantime I'll be over here looking at replacement motherboards  - hey there's got to be a silver lining to this cloud somewhere :)

cydoo

Re: GA AB350 Gaming 3 Bricked?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:24:37 am »
are you try this :

unplug the power supply cord
wait 5-10 min

try to rebooting

i have the same issue when updating my bios on windows to F6 and after reboot, no boot.

since i have doing this on up, issue are fixed.

CJ17

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »
Not sure but I'll give that a try tonight.

If I can get the board working great, if not then I've another board ordered and as long as the processor & memory etc is ok then I can live with the loss of one board.

Can't say I'm looking forward to having to move the processor and heatsink to a new board and reapplying the thermal paste though.

CJ17

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »
Just to update, nothing worked so got a myself new AX-370 Gaming 5 and everything's running fine now.

And on checking I noticed that if you go to install the app center there's a "Gigabyte Firmware Update Utility" you can install which was the program that bricked the old board.

So I'm think it wasn't a bios update but possibly something else on the board like the chipset?

Anyway - steer well clear of that if you see it and there's no way that utility is getting anywhere my new board!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:29:48 pm »
And on checking I noticed that if you go to install the app center there's a "Gigabyte Firmware Update Utility" you can install which was the program that bricked the old board.

So I'm think it wasn't a bios update but possibly something else on the board like the chipset?

Anyway - steer well clear of that if you see it and there's no way that utility is getting anywhere my new board!

I learn many years ago that all that software to keep your motherboard up to date is crap. But there are a lot people that use it. I'm old school I don't let any thing update my hardware. Plus even windows 10 if i can help it.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

AgentFXA

• none
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 02:19:38 am »
Just use QFlash from within the sys bios to update the bios - dunno whats's the obsession with the outdated @bios.

I had the App center installed once and it wanted to updated my drivers with older versions - I uninstalled it right away! Gigabyte has a serious QA problem with their software since a long time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:22:02 am by AgentFXA »
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64