Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Rev.1 - No Bios, No Beeps but has power

aazizi

Afternoon all,

I know this question may have been asked before and multiple occasions but I have read them and still struggling and as most builds are unique wanted to create a new thread for my specific situation.

So last night I started playing with a friend’s old machine that I picked up pretty cheaply from him as it doesn’t seem to be working. Am getting no Post upon powering up and no beeps however I have no motherboard speaker so I may try and get my hands on one today. The CPU, GPU and case fans all power up however on the GPU when both PCI-E adapters 4 into 8 are plugged in the GPU spins for a couple secs and stop and repeats this however if I use just 1 4 pin PCI-E adapter it spins fine and the Sapphire logo appears solid compared to before when it was one for a little while then off like it keep rebooting but I don’t think its this.

System Specification:

•   AMD FX-6350 Black Edition CPU
•   Aftermarket Fan CPU cooler
•   Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Toxic Edition Graphics card
•   Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB RAM
•   Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Rev.1 Motherboard
•   Zalman Z3 Plus Case
•   550W Corsair PSU
•   1TB Sata HDD

So what I know so far: -

•   The PSU is brand new and seems to be powering up the machine so doubt its anything to do with that but may test it on another machine
•   The Graphics card has been tested in another machine and works fine and I have also tried different GPU’s in this machine still with no luck so unless it’s the PCI-E Slot everything seems fine here.
•   I tried clearing the CMOS still nothing is it worth replacing the battery?
•   I tried removing the RAM using 1 slot and alternated the two but still nothing but haven’t tried testing the RAM in another machine may do that.
•   I checked the motherboard supplier’s website and the CPU seems to be compatible with the Mobo from day 1 so shouldn’t require a Bios update so I ruled this out + I don’t have another AMD CPU to test.
•   I haven’t tried reseating the CPU as I don’t have any thermal paste left and didn’t know if this would make any difference.

So from the above I thought it had to do with the CPU or Mobo can anyone advise next steps unless I have already listed them above you help will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:14:09 pm by aazizi »

BoNfiRe

Re: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Rev.1 - No Bios, No Beeps but has power
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »
Firstly, do you have a speaker in your case and have it plugged into the motherboard? I don't think that board has an onboard one.
Just because something is new, doesn't mean its working, DOA does happen, quite often. From what you've said, all I can think of is the PSU or motherboard, If it's the other components being faulty, the speaker would beep (providing you have one) and if it is working, you would get one beep at least.

You could also try resetting the BIOS. Also, try this.
Unplug everything not including the PSU and try switching it on, it should beep. Power off and try plugging in each item one at a time. Hopefully, this might help diagnose which item isn't functioning.

aazizi

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:20:02 pm »
Firstly, do you have a speaker in your case and have it plugged into the motherboard? I don't think that board has an onboard one.
Just because something is new, doesn't mean its working, DOA does happen, quite often. From what you've said, all I can think of is the PSU or motherboard, If it's the other components being faulty, the speaker would beep (providing you have one) and if it is working, you would get one beep at least.

You could also try resetting the BIOS. Also, try this.
Unplug everything not including the PSU and try switching it on, it should beep. Power off and try plugging in each item one at a time. Hopefully, this might help diagnose which item isn't functioning.

This really is puzzling I have added a speaker from maplins and unless that is fault too lol I get nothing even when components like RAM and HDD isn't hooked up which isn't right. I tested the new PSU on another machine of similar spec and it worked fine where am I going wrong?

I even tried changing the motherboard Battery no difference, also what I cant understand if why when the GPU is installed with both PCI-E power cables does it flash on and off like it cutting out with the fan only running for a couple of secs I tried this on another PC works fine is the PCI-E slot faulty? by why no beeps?

Thanks

aazizi

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:01 pm »
O.k checked the RAM in another machine that was fine CPU or Motherboard I guess then?