Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-890 ud5 rev 2.1: will not boot with ahci enabled on windows 10

Hi,

Has anyone sucessfully installed ahci on windows 10. For me its going to the circle of dots and then stops. The amd sata drivers are installed plus the registry changes done too ..

Boots fine with sata type as ide, but not with sata type as ahci,

Also i can boot into windows with ahci enabled
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:39:11 am by krustylicious »

rinkol

Re: ga-890 ud5 rev 2.1: will not boot with ahci enabled on windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone sucessfully installed ahci on windows 10. For me its going to the circle of dots and then stops. The amd sata drivers are installed plus the registry changes done too ..

Might try resetting the bios.

Can you revert to the Microsoft AHCI driver or try a different version of the AMD driver? Is it possible that the registry settings you changed were for the MS AHCI driver?

If you have the appropriate drivers installed, you might be able to use the jmicron GSATA ports on your board  - this would give you a bit of flexibility while you experiment with the settings for the regular SATA ports.

Robert

Re: ga-890 ud5 rev 2.1: will not boot with ahci enabled on windows 10
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:58:21 am »
Hi,

Might try resetting the bios.

Can you revert to the Microsoft AHCI driver or try a different version of the AMD driver? Is it possible that the registry settings you changed were for the MS AHCI driver?

If you have the appropriate drivers installed, you might be able to use the jmicron GSATA ports on your board  - this would give you a bit of flexibility while you experiment with the settings for the regular SATA ports.

Robert

Short answer: its fixed ....  ;D

Long answer: I knew i was gonna go to sdd on this machine at some stage. So i did a win10 upgrade last year, and tested it on an old hdd (which makes sense). I had the ahci issue with the drive last year along with radeon not installing (basically it was hosing the system)..

Tried again with the creator's update iso sunday same issue with the achi, but the graphics card installed... Which pulling the remains of any hair out!. And after posting this thread, i had seen that some sata cd/dvd drives do not like achi, and that the usb w10 drive, was stalling on the install as well in the same fashion, could not go past loading the sata driver in ahci mode.

So i decided to see if removing all drives and booting the usb w10 media would work - it did. That meant it was one of the drives.. By this time the ssd had arrived, stuck that in, in sata - ahci mode! it installed. I tried, the cd drive later and that worked fine, so the culprit was the old sata drive.

Why it failed under sata ahci mode: it had a pata/sata combo interface, so the chips on the hdd, did some sort of basic conversion, which doesn't include ahci. I think i also had the drive on the 4/5 sata ports (and those where configed as ide ) under w7 ..

But Rinkol thank you for the reply ..