Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition Windforce HIGH TEMPERATURES!!!

Monk

I'd like to know about a card i recently tested it was the Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition Windforce and i'd like to know if a temperature like 79 celsius is a cause for concern. I am basically running a system with OK but not great airflow and my CPU does NOT bottleneck the card. But for instance when i play games like Overwatch or DayZ the temperatures can go all the way up to 79°C !!! The card is almost brand new and i'm getting these temperatures in almost every game that i run. In dayZ it usually stays on 60 constantly but when i light a fire or look through binoculars i get WAAAY higher increase and it jumps to 75+°C. What is this? Why is it happening? Also fair to note is that i am using a 144hz monitor but i am NOT (neither on desktop or anywhere else) using a 144hz resolution. I once tried that in Overwatch and the temperatures started hitting like mid 80's around 85 degrees celsius. Why ? I looked around and i see these cards rarely reach 72 or more. Why am i getting such high temperatures? My case is almost dust-free and the airflow seems ok it doesn't look like it could be a problem with the other components messing it up either. The PSU is very good and so is the processor. So what is happening here? Is this potentially gonna kill the card? Why are the temperatures so high?! On idle i am getting a very normal 40-45 degrees but in certain games those just JUMP to massive 79°C or more! Wow! Why are the cards these days so hot???

Thanks for the reply if you do manage to find the time.

Seems about normal from what reviews are saying, yours is a little higher than normal but it really depends on your airflow setup. You might just need to tweak the fan-temperature curve to account for it.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1060_g1_gaming_review,9.html