Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP45-DS3L and 2gb dimm sticks: memtest86 fails when 2 sticks installed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L rev 1.0 (Bios f9, updated to f10)

CPU: Intel Q8200 Core2Quad CPU (2.33 ghz fsb) SLB5M

Memory tried:

- OCZ 2F10664GK (PC8500) Fatality Edition 4gb kit
- Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C7 G (composed of 2 dimms: CM2X2048-8500C7)

Both are kits of 2 dimms, 2 gb per dim, 4 gb total

Test situation: Motherboard installed in a desktop case, no hard drive, no CD rom. Generic video card plugged into PCI slot. Floppy drive connected to motherboard. memtest86 (v 3.5, single core version) booted and run from floppy drive.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Memory is tested (first, all dimm's installed individually, one at a time). All dimms pass (pass = memtest86 runs for several minutes, for as long as I care to let it run).

Next, memory is installed in pairs (single channel mode, dual channel mode). 2 dimms max. Dimms are not mixed.

System fails test when both dimms are installed. memtest fails at exactly the same point - early during the first pass. System reboots itself.

Have tried both 800 and 1066 mhz ram speed. Have raised ram voltage to 2.2v (for OCZ) and 2.0v for Corsair. Have set the timing to both auto/spd and manual (according to ram documentation).

I called OCZ and confirmed that this ram has not been QVL'd on this board. In addition, the OCZ tech said that he's read that gigabyte mobo's have a lot of problems running 4 gig kits (2 x 2mb).

I tried a bunch of different timing settings and ran the voltage up to 2.20 v (That number 2.20v is stamped on the sticker on this memory, the OCZ tech says he's not seeing that on his screen). OCZ phone is 800-459-1816.

I tried a 2gb kit (2 x 1gb) Kingston (KHX6400D2LLK2/2G) and was able to clock them to 800 mhz no problem.

I tried calling gigabyte, but after 15 minutes on hold I hung up. Phone (626) 854-9338.

I called Kingston and asked what they have for QVL on that board (4gb kit). They said:

KVR1066D2N7K2/4G

But they said they stopped making them July 2008. They say that you are not going to see much DDR2-1066 anymore because everyone is focusing on DDR3 at that speed and faster.

Called Corsair (510) 657 8747. They suggested Q2x8G6400C4DHX (8 gb kit). I want to run 8 gb on this board.  That product is not available locally.

Gigabyte memory support list for this board is useless. Hardly any listings for 2gb dimms.

I have a package of Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G that I haven't yet opened (unless I open it carefully I won't be able to return it).

Bottom line (so far) - impossible to get two 2gb dimms to run memtest 3.5 on this motherboard. I bought 3 of these boards, two of them to run XP-pro 64-bit with 8gb each.  I've only been working with one board so far.  I won't touch the other 2 unless (or until) I get this first one working.

This seems to have been a well-reviewed motherboard back last summer.   If anyone here has experience running it with 2gb dimms (4gb total) or even up to 8gb total, please tell me what ram was used, and what bios settings.

Newegg has lots of people writing about memory issues with this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

Please tell me if my experience with memtest is a correct indication that this board has problems with 2gb dimm sticks, and also please tell me if this board is capable of running with 8 gb of memory with quad-core CPU without causing grief and frustration.

Ok, I think I know what's happening.  Good to see lots of information and replies being posted here.  I'm overwhelmed.

There are 2 versions of memtest.

One is called memtest86:

Memtest86 - Download Page (latest version 3.5)

And the other is called memtest86+ (plus):

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool (latest version 2.11)

I've confirmed that on this gigabyte board (with quad-core) and an Asus board (with core2 dual core), that the 3.5 version of memtest causes both systems to spontaneously reboot early during the first test pass if there are 4 gb of memory installed (4 banks of 1 gb dimms, or 2 banks of 2gb dimms). However, if both systems have 3 gb installed (2 banks of 1 gb, 2 banks of 512 mb) memtest 3.5 runs fine on both.

The other memtest (version 2.11) works ok on both systems with 4 gb.

The only other odd thing is that there is a multi-core version of memtest 3.5. It does not run on this gigabyte EP45-DS3L (with quad-core cpu) regardless of the amount of installed memory.

I'm surprised that this bug in memtest 3.5 isin't more widely known, or at least fixed.

Badbonji

So the pc is fine now? Another programme I recommend for testing the memory and cpu is prime95, running blend will help see if your cpu and memory are stable at that speed, and every overclocker uses this or a similar programme. I believe these forums for the UK haven't been around for so long, and therefore needs more members. I find www.ocforums.com to have friendly people who will help if you ever have a problem, and have alot more members.
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

After initially being stopped in my tracks over this issue with Memtest86, I am in the final stages of selecting a set of 8gb memory for two systems using the GA-EP45-DS3L and quad-core Q8200 cpu.  I haven't tried prime95 yet, but I will next week. 

I've been posting my questions regarding memtest86 here, as well as the gigabyte forum on Tomshardware and Tweaktown, as well as the gigabyte and pc-homebuilt usenet newsgroups.  I have had the fewest responses here on the UK gigabyte user forum.

I'm actually surprised that the main gigabyte website does not have a user forum, only this UK site.  Asus seems to run a better set of forums on their website, even 2+ years ago.  Gigabyte seems to be resistant to hosting user forums if indeed as you say this forum is somewhat recent addition for them.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi sumguy99

thanks for your feedback. we will consider having forum linked to main GIGABYTE website.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

RuiPereira

• Who goes there?
I'm actually surprised that the main gigabyte website does not have a user forum, only this UK site.  Asus seems to run a better set of forums on their website, even 2+ years ago.  Gigabyte seems to be resistant to hosting user forums if indeed as you say this forum is somewhat recent addition for them.

Actually we have done this on purpose and the reason for this is because we want to have a localised Forum, rather than just one BIG Forum.
I know that it may sound crazy, but we want each country/region to know that GIGABYTE is here to help on a local basis.
 I bet you that no other brand/competitor can achieve this!

We only launched our Forum officially about 1 year ago.
But having said all this, I do understand what you saying and maybe one day we will have one BIG forum   ;D

Badbonji

Well, you could have a english website for all US and UK people, and other english speaking countries and then have sections towards the bottom for specific nationality help, as this would attract more people.
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hello Badbonji, it's a very good suggestion which, i can promise, will be strongly considered by us
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)