Official GIGABYTE Forum

M.2 expansion card on Z87-HD3?

M.2 expansion card on Z87-HD3?
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:11:26 pm »
Hi,

Will m.2 expansion-card on Z87-HD3 work?

Thanks in advance.

Re: M.2 expansion card on Z87-HD3?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:06 am »
I have tried this now but can't get it to work. Hopefully I'm missing something.

I have connected the m.2 expansion-card to the PCIeX4 slot and have nothing in the PCIeX1 slots. The m.2 drive is installed on the expansion-card (Samsung 850 Evo).

Note, Im not trying to run Windows on this drive, it's only for storage. However the drive isn't showing in Windows. I have updated BIOS to the latest version even though it did not mention anything about m.2 drives. I have tried changing the speed on the PCIeX4 slot in BIOS but it's the same on all options.

Anone able to point me in the right direction?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:30:22 pm »
Hi there,

Not sure if this motherboard supports M.2 devices but, have you checked under Windows/Control Panel/System & Security/Administrative Tools/Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions? The drive might need to be formatted and, if it is being recognised at all it will show up here.

If you can't find the M.2 Drive under the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions utility then you probably need a BIOS update to get it working. You should be able to request this through Tech Support or go over to TweakTown ( https://forums.tweaktown.com/ ) and see if someone there can mod the BIOS for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:38:55 pm »
Hi there,

Not sure if this motherboard supports M.2 devices but, have you checked under Windows/Control Panel/System & Security/Administrative Tools/Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions? The drive might need to be formatted and, if it is being recognised at all it will show up here.

If you can't find the M.2 Drive under the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions utility then you probably need a BIOS update to get it working. You should be able to request this through Tech Support or go over to TweakTown ( https://forums.tweaktown.com/ ) and see if someone there can mod the BIOS for you.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I sent a ticket to Tech Support and they provided me with bios version F9a and said it supports nvme devices (I can't see that version on downloads for the motherboard?). Anyway, will give it a try when I have some spare time  :)

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »
Nice that support send you a modified BIOS.  NVMe is not natively supported on chipsets prior to z100.  That said, there have been mixed results success/failure with some cards and drives with certain BIOS revs.  Will be helpful if you could post your results, AND if you can see the card in BIOS even better :)
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:51:08 am »
Still cant see the drive in Windows (or BIOS but not sure if Im supposed to either, cant find anything obvious about NVME). I have updated the ticket to see if they can help me further.