Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z270X Gaming 7 - Thunderbolt/USB-C not working with external monitor

Hey guys, so I just got the Z270X Gaming 7 and I wanted to test it with the Asus MB16AC( https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MB16AC/ ) external monitor.

Before this motherboard I tried it with an Asus Z170 Motherboard and while using the USB-C worked, it kept saying "Try improving the USB connection. DisplayPort connection might not work. Try using a different cable".

I thought that with this motherboard since it has Thunderbolt 3 and it also gives power and DisplayPort alternate mode it will work without any problems.

When I plug the monitor in the USB-C port Windows says:
- "USB not recognized, The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctioned..."
-In the device manager it says"(Device Descriptor Request Failed)Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
-The monitor displays the error saying "DisplayPort NO SIGNAL"

I have Bios Ver.F6 installed and I have attached a picture with the Thunderbolt Bios settings.

If I take the same cable and attach my phone to it, it is recognized.
If I try to disable Thunderbolt Support from the Bios and force the port to act as an USB-C only I still get the same error message.

At one point I got it to work for a split second, I was playing with the Thunderbolt Detachable Graphics Support option and after a restart, the computer activated the onboard graphics card because I could see Intel's system tray icon but my system froze and I had to restart. After that it didn't work anymore.

Here are my other specs:
i7 6700K
32GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 1070
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks!

triffid

Re: Z270X Gaming 7 - Thunderbolt/USB-C not working with external monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:45:28 am »
Did you update the Thunderbolt driver?
Does ASUS offer a driver for the monitor on their website? My LG monitor needed one to be properly recognized by Windows.
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE

My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK drive

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:57:22 pm »
Did you update the Thunderbolt driver?
Does ASUS offer a driver for the monitor on their website? My LG monitor needed one to be properly recognized by Windows.

Thanks for your reply!

I have downloaded and installed the recommended driver even if they said you need that driver only if you use the USB-A.
I used the Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte's website.

If you look at the first post, it says Controller driver version/Networking driver version are both Unknown. I have no idea if they are supposed to have a different text or that's normal.

triffid

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:01 pm »
Maybe you should try to remove your GPU from PCI-E slot -  that is what I did when I needed to solve a problem with iGPU. One thing out of the way during the boot, I thought.
Did you test the iGPU with a standard monitor, using HDMI and DP onboard outputs? Is everything all right with these two outputs? Does Intel VGA driver work withut issues?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:27:50 pm by triffid »
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE

My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK drive