Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 BIOS Update = Windows 10 Not Activated + Unknown Device

Hello,

So as I title says, I just updated my BIOS from F6 to F21 and Windows 10 is no longer activated. Is this a 'GG' from Gigabyte?!

Does anyone know why that happened and what am I supposed to do in this case?

Thank you.

Edit: I also noticed in Device Manager under Other devices 'Base System Device' and apparently it does not have the drivers installed and "There are no compatible drivers for this device." - does anyone know what that is? Its location is PCI bus 10.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:12:31 pm by greentrancer »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Greetings,
Being unfamiliar with your build, its unlikely anyone could tell you why this happened specifically.  Windows allows 2 hardware ID changes every 120 days.  When 3 occur in any 120 day period, you can be prompted to activate again.  A BIOS update could also cause this to occur if the programming changes were dramatic enough to trigger activation. 

Not sure what you mean by "GG" from Gigabyte? 

Regarding the unknown device.  Look at the unknown device properties and search google for the PCI VEN and hardware ID's.  This should help you figure out what the device is and which drivers you need to load to resolve. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

shadowsports, thank you for your reply.

I did not change anything to my computer for more than 6 months. Anyway, I managed to solve this by going into Settings > Update & Security > Activation and there was a 'troubleshoot' button. I clicked on it and in 3-5 seconds the Windows got activated back with 'digital license'. I initially searched the error code (which I do not recall) on Google and found a lot of people complaining in the past, etc. - but yey, it was easy this time. When I said "'GG' from Gigabyte" I was ironic, suggesting that things that were not meant to change were changed in the new BIOS.

Related to unkown device, I searched some hardware ID's and found some results talking about Thunderbolt. Then I went into the BIOS to see that all the previous settings have been reset to default, hence activating the Thunderbolt that I do not need / did not install previously. Disabled that again and now it disappeared from Device Manager. So thank you for the suggestion.

Just as a side note, I find the new BIOS design dreadful. It looks like some kids draw it and the colours / shadows seem from 15 years ago. The previous one was much, much cleaner, the fonts more readable, the colours more adequate, etc. - now I do not understand why I had to update my BIOS, lol.

Anyway, thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:55:36 pm by greentrancer »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Check your BIOS, but I believe F2 toggles back and forth between the advanced "graphic intensive" animated BIOS look and standard default view.  Not sure if this is what you were referring to.  Some of the newer BIOS' don't have the non-graphical view, but you can have a look. 

Activation is pretty much an automated process now as you can see.  It works seamlessly as long as you don't change or upgrade your system frequently.  And yes, the thunderbolt controller can be disabled in BIOS if you choose not to use it.     
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Just check the 'F2 magic' and unfortunately that only toggles between Advanced and Easy settings, but the overall red pixelated design and font style stays the same. I looked through the settings and I cannot find anyting design related, so I guess that I am stuck with this new 'amazing' interface:

vs.

- even the description of each setting was taken out!! WHY?!?! Argh..