Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte AB350 PWM fan setting issue(on fan controller hub)

I just built a Ryzen system with the following specs:
New Parts>>>
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2x4 3000MHz (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R) set on auto @2133MHz
MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 (Updated BIOS to F7)

Old Parts>>>
1 Intel 520 SSD 120GB
1 AMD R3 SSD 120GB
1 WD Green 500GB HDD
1 WD Blue 1TB HDD

GPU: MSI R9 380 4G GAMING
COOLING: Corsair H80i
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W

I have one issue that's getting on my nerves.
I have the system in an NZXT H440 NE case. I have 3 140mm fans and 2 120mm fans connected to the integrated fan controller.
I have hooked the PWM cable from the controller to the SYS_FAN1 port...but I can't...for the love of God set it. It says 0RPM,which is fine, since there are multiple fans connected through a hub, thus not reporting any speed...but applying any fan curve from BIOS is having no effect. PWM somehow works on its own, though I can't set it to a fixed percentage, say 30%,which I ultimately aim to do. During the first seconds of boot the fans are at minimum...so there shouldn't be an issue.
After a while though, they go to 100%. Now...it's bearable. They're Cougar fans so even at 100% the only noise coming from the PC is the air moving. Fans themselves are very quiet.
But this Ryzen chip is so efficent...and cooling is so overkill that I want to make it dead silent.(as I was previously doing to my FX 8350...IKR?!).
Speedfan is not updated for the motherboard and the BIOS SmartFan is not working on my setup, although I have heard that it works flawlessly when connecting multiple fans directly the ports.

Any idea how to control those fans or rather the PWM on SYS_FAN1? Any piece of advice(and software) would be great.

AgentFXA

• none
Re: Gigabyte AB350 PWM fan setting issue(on fan controller hub)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:36:14 am »
what I see is your fan controller is not of pwm type (just 3pin fan plugs), and your mobo only provides pwm (4pin) headers. Not sure why the manual calls it a pwm controller when you can't plug in any 4pin pwm fan?!

Perhaps ask the case manufacturer how this is supposed to work?

You can get a real pwm controller like this for a few bux
http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=526&area=en 

..and provided you have all pwm fans installed it should work as supposed ;)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:45:22 am by AgentFXA »
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

Re: Gigabyte AB350 PWM fan setting issue(on fan controller hub)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:33:49 am »
Because the fan hub itself uses a PWM signal to set the speed of the connected fans probably.
The idea is that you connect 3-pin fans to this hub.
This hub then connects to:
-a molex connector on the PSU for juice
-a 4-pin header on the motherboard to use the PWM signal on that

It doesn't use RPM figures, just percentages. So if I had a way to set the SYS-FAN1 to 50% via PWM...then the fans connected would basically run at 50% speed(more or less).
I was using this setup with my previous ASRock board and it worked exactly this way. Connected the 4pin PWM to SYS-FAN1. Set that in BIOS at level 4(which roughly translated to 45%) and the fans were spinning slowly.Then if I required any further in-windows tinkering(say I had a render open and I needed more cooling) I would use SpeedFAN to increase the percentage.

I might be wrong in calling it PWM since it's not really acting like it, but for the sake of it let's call it that way.