Official GIGABYTE Forum

Recommended RAM slots

Recommended RAM slots
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:51:31 pm »
Bought 2x8GB of ram for my new board. Sadly the new ram is swanky and shiny so it nearly touches my massive Noctua cooler.

Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming 5's manual states, that the recommended slots for a 2 ram solution are 1st and 2nd slot.

Did anyone test how it effects performance if you slip both to 3rd and 4th? Is there a difference at all, or it is just a arbitrary selection to pick the first two slots instead of the latter two?

Airflow around RAM would be much better in the latter two in my case

Re: Recommended RAM slots
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »
Hello,

Depends on the CPU and motherboard but in nearly all cases the difference is based on electrical specifications.
Slots 1 and 2 are closer to the CPU, shorter copper tracks on the PCB to the memory controller.
Real world differences closer to 0.

The only noticeable issues arise from overclocking, you might find slots 1 and 2 OC better.

My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:13 am »
The strange thing with the AX370 Gaming 5 though is that slot 1 is the furthest away from the CPU socket for the first channel and slot 2 is the furthest away for the second channel. So that 'closest to CPU' logic is not in play here.

OP, please note the diagram in your manual. From the right hand side of the board, you should use the first slot, then skip one, then use the next slot. This is because the slots (from the right) are arranges 1/3/2/4. This is because slots 1 & 3 are on channel 1, and slots 2 & 4 are on channel 2. To get dual channel, you want one stick on each channel. Hence the odd numbering system.

Why you should avoid slots 3 and 4 for a two stick layout though, I have no clue considering they are actually closer to the CPU socket. Every mobo I've seen does have such a recommendation though (but usually those closest to the CPU socket, unlike this one).

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:10:55 pm »
The strange thing with the AX370 Gaming 5 though is that slot 1 is the furthest away from the CPU socket for the first channel and slot 2 is the furthest away for the second channel. So that 'closest to CPU' logic is not in play here.

Apologies, I should avoid using numbers as different manufactures label the slots differently.
My point still stands, the slots closer to the CPU are different due to the PCB trace length.

My original reply should read, in relation to Gigabytes DIMM slot numbering.

Slots 3 and 4 are closer to the CPU, shorter copper tracks on the PCB to the memory controller.

The only noticeable issues arise from overclocking, you might find slots 3 and 4 OC better.
My PC is evolving

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:38 am »

Apologies, I should avoid using numbers as different manufactures label the slots differently.
My point still stands, the slots closer to the CPU are different due to the PCB trace length.

My original reply should read, in relation to Gigabytes DIMM slot numbering.

Slots 3 and 4 are closer to the CPU, shorter copper tracks on the PCB to the memory controller.

The only noticeable issues arise from overclocking, you might find slots 3 and 4 OC better.

But the manual DOES ADVISE slots 1 and 2 as the best to use, which are further away from the socket. That's the puzzling thing.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
Might be worth asking gigabyte for a better answer other than it being the recommended option.

Give the other slots a go and see for yourself, it will work.  :)
My PC is evolving