Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3 - PC Speaker "whine"??

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3 - PC Speaker "whine"??
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:52:21 pm »
Hey so, I have recently purchased this motherboard and have configured it all with stock-default/auto settings and have noticed that occasionally the motherboard-speaker will emit a high-pitch constant whine/buzz - I have checked for the standard fan-fail warnings/temperatures and all is within working order and not overheating.
I have only ever noticed it does this when first starting up the PC but to make it stop I have to fully shut the system off and re-boot. I have checked all motherboard cable connections too and they are securely fitted.

Does anyone perhaps know why this might occur? I've disabled fan-fail warnings and such too + changed when the warning should go off for too little voltage incase power-saving is triggering it to go off? just not sure how to fix this.

Everything else appears to be in working order, I only purchased this motherboard a week ago and this high-pitch whine has happened three times or so each time with no clear reason as to why. (accidentally posted in wrong-section, deleted and reposted here)

Re: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3 - PC Speaker "whine"??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »
Hello,

I have the Z170X-UD5-TH, there is no speaker on the motherboard which I assume is the same for your one?

Did you plug a speaker into it?
Or are you referring to the actual audio jacks?

If from the audio jacks it could be interference from the power supply, do you have another one to test with?
My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »
Hello,

I have the Z170X-UD5-TH, there is no speaker on the motherboard which I assume is the same for your one?

Did you plug a speaker into it?
Or are you referring to the actual audio jacks?

If from the audio jacks it could be interference from the power supply, do you have another one to test with?

Hey, I attached the motherboard speaker that is supplied with my case - it can be attached to the motherboard where the power/reset-switch/led/hdd-led wires go.

It's quite a common thing and the motherboard has a port for it - it's a tiny speaker that beeps to alert you of any post-issues and will trigger if there is a system failure.

It's not my audio-jacks.

It's very bizarre though as it only appears to happen from a cold-system boot and there is no temperature/fan issues or loose wires/connections. I have contacted gigabyte directly and even they were puzzled by it and mentioned a possible RMA but the motherboard works flawlessly despite this silly niggly-thing.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:51:58 pm »
I know and this is what I was wondering, why not just leave it unplugged?

It's a reason why a lot of motherboard manufacturers leave it out due to unnecessary feedback.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:53:00 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:07:26 pm »
As of right now I've switched to a different speaker incase the one I had was faulty, if the issue persists and I get that irritating buzz again I'll remove it, I just like hearing the little beep when you turn the system on? perhaps weird I know.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:33:30 pm »
UPDATE: Found the issue, appears to be related to using a fansplitter and powering two fans off of one system header, despite the fans only drawing 0.25A each, total of 0.50A (the header is rated at 1A) It appears the motherboard/bios fails to read the system fans as being "there" via the fan splitter and causes the fan fail error to occur. Have not had the annoying buzz happen since removing the fan splitter and powering the fans individually via two fan-headers.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:40 pm »
The whine was a beep code? :)

Did your fan splitter also try to combine both RPM signals? (the yellow wire)
This can cause problems, one fan RPM must be blocked.
My PC is evolving