Official GIGABYTE Forum

No display, no access to bios

Bobbsy

No display, no access to bios
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:03:06 am »
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been covered already.

This is my first build so apologies for any novice mistakes I might have missed.

My rig specs:

Mobo: gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 (rev 4.0)

Graphics card: nvidia gtx745 4gb

CPU: amd 9590 (4.7ghz, 8 core)

RAM: 16gb crucial ddr3 (1866 MHz, ECC 1 stick)

PSU: 1200w (unsure of model)

Heat sink: be quiet dark rock pro 3

I've put all this together, and all fans spin on startup, power light comes on, (no beeps due to no speaker) but I'm getting no display using any connection.

I've swapped out the board and graphics card, the CPU and RAM were both store bought and tested before purchase, yet I'm still getting nothing.

I've plugged in the 8 pin and 20+4 power cables, no power needed for graphics card... any help would be appreciated.... I'm close to throwing it out the window,

Bobbsy
First/Current build:

AMD 9590 4.7Ghz 8-core, 4TB SSHD, 8GB DDR3 RAM, be quiet dark rock pro 3, 1200w PSU

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: No display, no access to bios
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:41:56 am »
Hi there,

first thing I would do is clear CMOS. This will reset the motherboard to its default settings and will make trouble shooting easier.

How are you connecting the monitor to the PC, VGA, DVI or HDMI? Also, what monitor are you using?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Bobbsy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:08 am »
Feel free to take the mick lol but have no idea how to clear CMOS, literally learning this as I do it.

Running my PC through hdmi and my TV until I manage to buy a new monitor.
First/Current build:

AMD 9590 4.7Ghz 8-core, 4TB SSHD, 8GB DDR3 RAM, be quiet dark rock pro 3, 1200w PSU

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »
Hello,

Usually you would place a jumper over 2 pins on the motherboard but as an alternate option, take the motherboard battery out when there board is completely powered down and disconnected from the PSU.

Leave it for 10 mins, place the battery in and it will be cleared.

You said the CPU and RAM were tested?
What motherboard did the store use and were both items tested together?

ECC RAM also requires a board that supports it, the Gigabyte board you have doesn't mention ECC support but it can work.

What is the part number for the RAM?

BIOS support for your CPU started on version F3, no idea what BIOS version your board is running so if you can get the store to check out your board with another CPU, all AM3 CPUs work. (Sempron 145, Phenom II).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:46:32 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
To be honest, if you had a motherboard speaker, I think you will find that the system is starting up OK and the problem is with the use of HDMI and a TV.

Before going any further, check that you are using the right HDMI cable for both the GPU and the TV you are using. These should be listed in the appropriate documentation for each device.

Secondly, ensure that the TV is set to the correct HDMI channel before you start up the PC. Unlike a DVD or video player, the TV probably won't auto switch to a PC signal (my TV doesn't).

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Bobbsy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »
Hi guys thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Bought myself a speaker no hear the bios beeps, no beeps at all.

Cleared CMOS by removing battery, still no display.

CPU was bought in CEX (2nd hand but stated as tested) and RAM was bought from amazon (but again stated as tested)

Part number: CT16G3R186DM
First/Current build:

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
The RAM is ECC Registered, for the best compatibility you should use Non-ECC unregistered.
Commonly known as DDR3 unbuffered.

Eg, CML16GX3M2A1866C10

Go for desktop grade RAM, if not sure post part numbers.
My PC is evolving

Bobbsy

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »
Do you think that could be the problem?

I read that using ECC RAM was okay it just wouldn't not have the error correction code capability?

Only using this as it's the only 16GB sticks I can find, trying to maximise usage as the cooler is partially covering RAM slots
First/Current build:

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:57 pm »
Yes there are 2 types of ECC ram,

ECC unregistered < This one may work
ECC Registered < Doesn't work.

Desktop memory non-ECC unbuffered 2x8GB an option?
What cooler do you have?
My PC is evolving

Bobbsy

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:59:21 pm »
Ahh right, thanks for clearing that up.

Could do the 2x8GB route, don't necessarily need the max RAM (only building a big download box basically), just wanted to go for max spec.

Cooler I have is the be quiet dark rock pro 3 (didn't realise how bloody big the thing is until I had it)
First/Current build:

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:27 am »
A lot of the big heat sinks leave enough room, you have to get the RAM installed first then the CPU heatsink will leave a few mm space or just about touching :)

See what you can find and 2x XGB as dual channel mode does offer a performance boost.
My PC is evolving

Bobbsy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 03:00:59 pm »
So would this ECC RAM completely prevent me from getting any signal output? (As I'm not even getting any beeps or sign of life)
First/Current build:

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »
Yes.

Power the board without the ram to see what happens.
My PC is evolving

Bobbsy

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for not replying, works been mental!, so I took your advice and powered up the board without RAM, managed to get BIOS beeps so I ordered some new RAM and waiting to install it. Will update you when I know more.
First/Current build:

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:50:06 am »
Update when you are ready, which ram did you choose?
My PC is evolving