Official GIGABYTE Forum

Power - no boot - no video -no hair

Power - no boot - no video -no hair
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »
Motherboard              GA-2FA78M-HD2         
CPU                          AMD Phenon AD860KXBJ
Graphics                   GT710
RAM                         2 x 4Gb unbuffered

User built PC was working fine. Changed front panel and problems start.

No boot no video no motherboard ledn   :'(
Have power to cpu (fan at least),Main fans work and light, usb ports illuminate
Tried:

Check all connections
Only drives connected ( 3 SATA)
Only 1 drive connected
Add keyboard
Add mouse ( has power )
Dropped it ( just kidding )
HDMI (3 different cables ( but as working before should be OK
VGA - HDMI cable

No change in activities.

Only other access to internet is ancient netbook so unable to swap components and I am at a complete loss as to next step.

If anyone has any ideas I will be forever gratefull.

Keith

ps. I know asked before but different spec so asked again to keep separate

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:32:18 pm by kaybee327 »

ket

Re: Power - no boot - no video -no hair
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:42:19 pm »
These kinds of issues can be very tricky, in the past when these kinds of things would crop up on the rare occasion I found the only real way to find the problem was to completely dismantle the system and rebuild it piece by piece thoroughly checking everything as I went. I'd say thats the next port of call for you. For the sake of being thorough as well I'd also remove the CMOS battery and set the jumper to the "clear" position and press the power button 2-3 times before dismantling the system. This will discharge the capacitors of any stagnant electricity buildup.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »
Many thanks Ket for you reply.

removed battery and left overnight - made no difference so I think my only alternative is to try a rebuild or get a new m/board.

I am half tempted by a new board as I could get a couple of extra SATA ports as 4 ports for 6 drives does not help, have 2 on external USB.

ket

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:31:09 pm »
In that case yeah I'd just go with a new board if you want more SATA internal ports, if can find one for that Phenom that is, you might have to end up getting a whole new CPU/mobo/RAM combo.

Just to clear a few things up you could try reseating the CPU making sure nothing has got on the pins or in the socket, if you can using a different PSU would help too. Lastly if you haven't already you could try one RAM stick at a time in each DIMM bank.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:20:58 pm »
Have taken advice and changed to a F2A88XM-D3HP board.

Should not have a problem with 8 x SATA and 8 xc USB inc 1 x USB 3.1

Still will not post but at least I am getting beep codes now so I will know where to look ( 1 long 2 short )

Keep the faith  8) 8)

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »
Thanks for the help I received.

I was conned  >:(  when I got the board told compatible with all Athlon CPU. Now found that not all Athlon are equal as some do not have graphic controllers built in which means that machines will not boot without an external graphics card.  Cost me $50 to find that little gem out but as I am informed these things come to try us but why does it always seem to happen to me. :'( :'( :'( but at least not working.

Anyone for a F2A78M-HD2 ?