Official GIGABYTE Forum

Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 UEFI bugs (UEFI F8)

ket

Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 UEFI bugs (UEFI F8)
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »
I'll start off by saying I'm quite capable of understanding and altering BIOS / UEFI code. The solutions I suggest are workarounds that Gigabyte can implement in the space of a few seconds (literally) until they fix the problem properly.

If anyone is experiencing bugs I don't mention feel free to add them in this thread and I'll update this post. The only bugs I will add are any that are present as of UEFI F8.

I'm making this thread in the hope that someone can actually communicate properly with the R&D team. My attempts at getting Gigabyte to comprehend what I'm telling them is akin to trying to get a chimp to understand astrophysics, or what I could make them understand they seemed to deny the problem only for it to quietly be fixed in a UEFI update.. hmmm..

Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 F8 UEFI bugs

When connected to front USB ports external USB HDDs constantly disconnect when in use (tested 2x 1TB Western Digital Canvio Basics and 1x Samsung external drive). This problem appears to clearly be an error in the code for the Message Signal Interrupts.

User Workaround: Use rear USB ports
Gigabyte: Change the hidden (why are you hiding so many options in the UEFI?) USB MSI option in the UEFI to Enabled instead of Auto
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DDR4 2400 and 2666 dividers do not work for G.Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C15D-16GVK

User Workaround: Just don't use those dividers until Gigabyte fix them.
Gigabyte: Fix them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selecting preset orange colour in RGB Fushion displays wrong LED colour, it's yellow.

User Workaround: Adjust RGB values to; R: 255 G: 15 (or 20-25 if you don't want such a rich orange) B: 0
Gigabyte: Whoever did this is colour blind, minor bug but none the less needs addressing

Literally every other brand of X370 board I've used allows for custom PSTATE overclocking, the Aorus does not. Stop being lazy Gigabyte.

Lastly, unhide ALL of these options in the UEFI Gigabyte in a official UEFI release.

Peripherals >

Promontory Common Options - PT USB Configuration
Given all the USB related issues, this could be useful for users allowing them to troubleshoot related issues themselves.

CPU Configuration
This is where PSTATE and PPC adjustment options are everyone.

Chipset > South Bridge

SB SATA Configuration
Why didn't you just leave this unhidden Gigabyte? All useful SATA options are here you didn't need to touch anything.

SB Debug Configuration >

SB MISC DEBUG Configuration
Why did you hide this Gigabyte? There are some extremely useful options in this folder including Chipset Power Saving Features, SB Clock Spread Spectrum Options, MsiDis in HPET, USB Phy Power Down, and the USB MSI Option.

Given how competing manufacturers offer these options and a lot more already in their UEFI I hope now I have highlighted these things Gigabyte will do the right thing and start unhiding / adding options other boards like the X370 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 has, because that is the standard and Gigabyte are failing.

Re: Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 UEFI bugs (UEFI F8)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 12:22:11 pm »
As I and others have reported on the US forum in the past, here are some more issues which have still not been fixed in F8 (and most have existed since the F5 betas):

1) After memory OC failure, when it boots with default settings, almost every time the keyboard and mouse do not respond in the UEFI setup.
The workaround is to unplug the PC and reset CMOS.

2) When loading any kind of settings profile, the XMP setting is not applied correctly. For example, if XMP was off and the profile enables it, it will appear as enabled but the frequency listed next to it will always be 2133 and XMP will not be applied on the next boot, which in some cases may lead to a bootloop. Entering and exiting setup after this will fix it.
The real workaround: After loading any profile, toggle the XMP setting before exiting.

3) The default value for the tRFC memory timings is not displayed correctly (always displays 312), but it is set correctly. A similar issue may exist with tRFC2 and tRFC4.

4) Many of the voltages display wrong default/automatic values. For example with XMP enabled at 2933MHz the DRAM, DRAM Termination and SOC voltages show 1.2v, 0.6v and 1.1v defaults respectively, but they should display 1.35v, 0.675v and 1.25v (see next issue) respectively. This is definitely an issue because it used to display the correct values.

5) Default SOC voltage is set very high for XMP. At higher memory frequencies it is set to 1.25v! This was introduced as a feature in one of the F5 betas to improve stability, but this was made redundant by the last 3 AGESA updates, so in practice you almost never need more than 1.1v. Until this update happened I had always heard that 1.2v was the maximum recommended value, but then the Gigabyte engineers claimed that 1.25v was perfectly fine.
If anyone still needs more than 1.1xv for stability at 2933 to 3200 MHz on AGESA 1006a, please reply.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:23:55 pm by orondf343 »

ket

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:40:12 pm »
If it's of any help I have a modified Aorus Gaming 5 UEFI on win-raid.com people can try, it addresses almost everything I mentioned at least, possibly a few things I don't even know about. Without a doubt, this Aorus board is the worst X370 test board I have and the really sad thing about that is 95% of the issues can be fixed with a good UEFI.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:48:26 pm by ket »

ket

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
I find this rather sad... no word from a Gigabyte person at all regarding these issues. Doesn't bode well for people who had to buy their Gigabyte boards, glad I'm a reviewer and managed to borrow one from a etailer.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:56 pm »
Hi,

As this is a user to user forum, it's not surprising there is no direct response from Gigabyte here.

However, if you email tech support,  you will get an official response to the problems you're experiencing.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ket

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:27:15 pm »
Gigabyte would be the only manufacturer I'm aware of then that doesn't have any reps in the forums. I did also try opening dialog with the tech support and that was utterly hopeless the responses were in barely understandable severely broken English and when I could understand what they were getting at it wasn't very clear still because the English was so badly broken.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »
MSI forums are the same (user to user) and their tech support as a UK customer is also non-existent with poorly worded responses. Yes it is quite disappointing that some manufacturers with high end hardware lack technical support and show no interest to the customers that are trying to help them resolve issues.

At least you tried and have the skill to resolve most of it.

Your username sounds familiar, many years ago DFI-street forum mod/user?
My PC is evolving

ket

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:41:59 pm »
MSI forums are the same (user to user) and their tech support as a UK customer is also non-existent with poorly worded responses. Yes it is quite disappointing that some manufacturers with high end hardware lack technical support and show no interest to the customers that are trying to help them resolve issues.

At least you tried and have the skill to resolve most of it.

Your username sounds familiar, many years ago DFI-street forum mod/user?

Cripes that was a long time ago! Indeed I was a member of the DFI forum, and about that time I was on the Mushkin forums as a mod involved with R&D as well as helping the end consumer. Mostly these days I'm on win-raid.com and I try to find time for Xtremesystems and a few other forums.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:45:57 am »
:) long time indeed, I was a mod there when Angry-Games was around.
I'm less active these days, I'll take a look at these forums you mentioned.
My PC is evolving

ket

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »
Alright, It'll be good to see you around. :) People like us are all too quickly being replaced with blind fanboys :(