Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z270x Gaming SOC - startup/shutdown issue

Z270x Gaming SOC - startup/shutdown issue
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently bought the Z270x gaming SOC board, have installed and everything works OK, other than an issue with startup/shutdown.

When pressing the Power button on the case, the system powers up (motherboard lights and fans), but Windows doesn't start up. Then I need to press the power button again and it commences the proper boot and I see the Gigabyte logo then Windows loads.

Then when I shutdown from Windows, it closes down Windows but doesn't power off - the motherboard lights and the system fans keep going. I have to "reach around" the back to power off via the PSU to get it to power off.

I've left it pre-turning off to see if it was some kind of cool down, but there's no indication anything is running hot (not overclocked) and it'll stay in this not-off state for hours.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot:

Updated all drivers in Windows (10 Pro 64 bit)
Updated the BIOS from F1 to latest F5
Amended the ErP setting on or off (no change with either setting)

I suspect the issue could lie with the front panel connectors? This mobo has far more pin options for the FP than an previous board I've used. The case is a Corsair 300R. I'll try to upload an image of the pin connections if anyone thinks this is likely to be the cause?

Full spec on Partpicker: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YRhfBP

Re: Z270x Gaming SOC - startup/shutdown issue
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:38 am »
Hello,

It might be a good idea to take all the front panel connectors out, USB / Audio and leave only the power button.

For testing purposes take everything out that is not required to boot to windows.

So take out the GTX 780 and use the integrated GPU.
If it powers / shuts down fine it could be an issue with the GTX 780 not being compatible.
My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »
Hi @ElectroStingz, thanks for your suggestions. I have now tried removing the graphics card, and the other FP connectors/HDA, but the same issue persists. I also loaded the optimised Bios defaults but that didn't work either..

I will play around with the fast boot options and see if anything there makes a difference

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »
Is everything new, like the power supply?

Also the ram, enable the xmp (extreme memory profile) setting in the bios.
My PC is evolving

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 03:47:58 pm »
Only the mobo, CPU and RAM are new, everything else is from my previous build.

Have enabled XMP now, but still no change in the situation.

Not sure if it's important, but when I shutdown the system fans change to a louder/faster mode compared to when the PC is "on" properly.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:36:25 pm »
In that case I would consider borrowing a more recent power supply. Some of the older PSUs are not compatible with the lower power standby states of the motherboard / CPU.

Is this something you can do easily do?

My PC is evolving

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
I'm not sure how easily I can track down a spare PSU but I'll certainly try! It's a 2013 model PSU (bought in 2014) and I'd hoped it was future proof... PC partpicker didn't report any compatibility issues.

I did run this same setup briefly with an Asus Z270E mobo, and didn't have these issues with the startup/shutdown routine. I'm not sure if there is something drastically different between how Asus and Gigabyte manage the power options on their boards?

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 08:14:44 pm »
I tried a nice new Corsair RM850x PSU, but hasn't made any difference  :'(

Would a complete reinstall of Windows be the next option? I have been trying to avoid it, but the inconvenience of a reinstall (if it resolves the issue) would probably outweigh me having to reach under the desk to power off each night!