Official GIGABYTE Forum

CPU-Z Vcore, Dynamic Vcore

CPU-Z Vcore, Dynamic Vcore
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:00:29 pm »
Hello all, I've decided to seek some help as I'm at a loss, can't find a successful answer anywhere.
After 6 years of faithful companionship I've decided to overclock my 2500k to squeeze some extra juice, I guess they're starting to finally show their age.
Mobo is the Z68X-UD3H (B3).
So I've used this guide: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/693613-Beginners-How-to-set-your-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz.
My RAM is fine, got my multiplier to 45, and set my voltage to 1.35. Did some burn tests whilst lowering the voltage and it's going great. Then I noticed in cpu-z and hwinfo that the core voltage is HIGHER (does that mean no vdroop?) than in BIOS and it fluctuates. This is all the time, not just under load. I've done what the guide says and turned the power saving features off, which I figured is why it fluctuates - to save power, but nothing changed. I then wondered if it was to do with the dynamic vcore option which is set to auto, however I can't select it as an option.
Any help appreciated!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: CPU-Z Vcore, Dynamic Vcore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:34 am »
It's been over five years since I hit 5.2Ghz with my 2500k processor and since then, I have switched Intel CPU's several times and have more recently, switched back to an AMD system with the Ryzen 7 1800X processor so my memory of the steps I took to get thinks working with Sandybridge are a little hazy now.

LLC played a big part in achieving the target and because of the nature of this feature, if I recall correctly, voltages did fluctuate quite a lot. I don't remember if I actually altered the Dynamic VCore option of if I left it on auto but, looking back over the notes I made at the time, I actually didn't record anything about it so, I would assume that I left it at its default state of auto. It is worth noting that this was the first time I had built an Intel based system and I had no experience of Intel BIOS setup at that time. Therefore, I tended to leave a lot of things at the default settings, because I really didn't know what I was doing!

Have you tried using the basic settings that I posted here: https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8039.msg63845#msg63845 to see how your setup handles them? If you haven't it may be a good starting point but remember, each PC is going to respond differently and you probably won't get exactly the same results I did.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I posted then found your thread later. Trying that configuration you posted was actually my next step.
Ill post how it goes when I get chance to have a fiddle.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:45 pm »
If you run into any issues, just post back with the problem you are facing and if I can't help, I'm sure there are others on the forum who will be able to do so.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
Thanks for that.
I've made some progress. I've used your old settings, though starting with a 1.35 voltage seeing as you were going for the higher overclock. So it's at 45x, 1.35 and I've tried LLC at 3, 4, 5 and 6.
With LLC at 3 cpu-z shows it vcore holding at idle which is a first, but still gets vdrop under load.
As I then go up through the LLC levels from there (not changing voltage) all that changes is that cpu-z shows voltage as higher and a vdrop under load, and temperatures increase as I go up through the levels.
Is a little bit of vdrop always to be expected or none at all with the right settings?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:22 am »
There will always be some vdrop, no matter what settings you use. I remember that issue bugging the hell out of me but it is actually designed to do that.

In the end, I gave up worrying about it and just went with the settings that gave me a stable O/C.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:44 am »
Alright nice one. Appreciate the help, from here I guess I just start dropping voltage updates until it becomes unstable?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:00:50 am »
As with all all things PC it is really a case of trial and error. You needs lot of patience and be prepared for the inevitable failures.

Looking back over the notes that I made at the time (this is a really useful thing to do as, in a couple of months you'll have forgotten most of it!) I dropped the voltage to my target settings almost immediately then tested the system for stability. I then played around with dropping the voltage lower in smaller steps until the system fell over. I then fine tuned the settings between the first and last measurements until i reached a point that I had the lowest voltage with stability.

Sounds easy but, it did take a fair bit of time, to achieve the desired results.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:46 pm »
Great. I've done a fair bit of reading but some people say running Intel Burn Test 10 times is enough and others say to run Prime95 for 10 hours. What's your opinion there? I also tried looking up what a decent voltage for would be for 4.5 but see a lot of variation there too.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:39 pm »
When it comes to testing I tend to favour the "if it works for an hour or two, then I'll run with it" method.

Generally I have found when O/C'ing things will fall over pretty quickly if the settings are too aggressive (voltage to low/CPU speed too high) and if you can test for an hour or two, with things running OK, then I've not experienced any failures when using the PC normally.

When it comes to voltages there is absolutely, no hard and fast, "This is the right voltage to use" no matter what you read on other forums or on-line. Each system is unique and will require it's own settings. Yes, what will work on one PC may well work on 100 others but this doesn't make it right for every system. That said, 1.35V is probably a good starting point for trying to get to 4.5Ghz. You may need to up the voltage a little or, you may be lucky and find that you can run nearer to 1.3V.

Honestly, don't get too hung up on what others are doing, keep things sensible, alter voltages and other settings one at a time then test. Don't make lots of changes at one go or you'll never know what is working and what is not.

Don't be afraid to go right back to Optimised Defaults and start over again. If you are keeping notes, you can soon get back to where you were.

And, most importantly, have fun, it's what O/C'ing is all about.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:20 am »
Well I think I've got it sorted and stable. Used your settings, 4.5ghz and 1.30.
Thanks for everything pal, been a massive help.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:34 am »
No problem and really pleased that you have achieved the result that you wanted.