Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Build/Won't boot/flashing CPU LED on MB

New Build/Won't boot/flashing CPU LED on MB
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:32 am »
Hey guys, some of you will likely WINCE at how little I know about building a custom computer like this, but I've always wanted to give it a shot and I am now realizing why that probably wasn't the greatest idea.  I have an i7 6700 CPU on a Z270X-Ultra Gaming board, 650W Corsair power supply, 8gbX2 DDR4 ram (2400), and am using only the onboard video output to try booting into bios.  I feel about 95% confident that I have everything plugged into the correct places and 100% certain that they are seated correctly.  When I push the power button all the internal (show) lights light up and the fans spin.  The small LED indicator lights in the corner of the board are dark with the exception of the CPU light which flashes on and off.  The computer shuts itself off then back on again and does the same thing until I remove the power cord.  I get nothing from the monitor, it stays black.  I feel like I'm missing something simple and just have my nose too deep into the case to see it.  I've tried the two ram sticks in the 2 and 4 slots, as well as trying to boot with just one of them in the 2, then the 4 and finally the 1 position, all with no luck.  What am I missing??? 

Re: New Build/Won't boot/flashing CPU LED on MB
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:08 am »
Hello,

Try booting with no memory sticks, if it remains powered there is a chance that the 2400Mhz kit you purchased is causing the problem.

What is the memory kit model?
My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:54:49 pm »
Thank you for your reply!  I did as you suggested and the LED lights on the MB changed (one quick flash on the CPU light then a solid light on VGA, then shut down and restarts itself).  I then tried a single stick of ram in every single slot again just to make certain I wasn't misunderstanding where it should go - got the same results.  Interestingly, when I installed both ram sticks in the correct position (the one that they were in when I had the CPU light flashing) it now only results in the same single flash of the CPU light then the solid VGA light.  Another interesting thing is that I only got the lights on the motherboard (the fancy decorative ones) to come on when the CPU light was flashing and haven't been able to get them to come on again since.  I am using Corsair DDR4 2X8gb 2400mhz ram, which, according to what I read about this board, it should support.  I am at a loss here and don't even know quite what's left to try.  :(

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:43:44 pm »
Something isn't quite right, without the ram the board should remain powered on.

Can you take the board out of the case and place on a flat non-conductive surface.
Newspaper for example.

Check the CPU socket pins, sometimes if you are not careful when installing the CPU it is possible to bend the pins.

What CPU Cooler are you using?
If an after market water cooler (AIO), always tighten the screws progressively.
That is, do not fully tighten a corner, slowly work you way around each one.

Thermal paste?

If everything looks ok, power the board again on the news paper.
- Board
- CPU
- CPU cooler
- RAM
- PSU, 24pin and 8 pin connectors
- Power button switch, get your case power button wire close enough to reach the motherboard.

Should it still do the power cycle, turns on / off.

Disconnect the 8 pin power connector near the top of the board.
Power like this, if it remains powered on it could be CPU related.
My PC is evolving

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:10 pm »
Finally found the culprit!  The i7 processor that I had (got it secondhand and should have known better) was bad!  Popped a new i7-770K into the motherboard and she took off like a rocket!  Thank you for all your help, I very sincerely appreciate it. 

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »
Good to know its working  ;)
My PC is evolving