Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ax370 gaming k5 no post after latest bios update

Ax370 gaming k5 no post after latest bios update
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:14:03 am »
Hi and sorry for my english.
I will try to be as clear and simple as possible.

Ga-ax370 gaming k5 / ryzen 1600x

I had bios F4 and all was ok except RAM instability at full speed (@2666)
So, I decided to updated the bios to latest F5a. I did it in windows 10 via Gigabyte @bios.
All went ok (process done 100%)  and @bios utility ask me to reboot.
After rebooting system wont post anymore. 4 diagnostic leds , the one corresponding CPU is on and all rgb fusion leds are off

I tried to reset cmos -> same problem.
I tried to remove and reinstall CPU -> same problem

I never overclocked cpu and my cpu temp was never >55C (ty to corsair h100).
 The only parameter I modified after every bios upgrade was to enable ram xmp profile.

Any ideas?
Can a bios upgrade kill a cpu?
Could be really the cpu fault ?
In that case it would be really strange that cpi died right after the bios upgrade.

Small update:
Attached a speaker -> 0 beep ...nothing
Tried to measure cs on the 2 bios chip... they are bot high (2v)
Thanks
Alan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:54:19 am by MrRicciolo »

Re: Ax370 gaming k5 no post after latest bios update
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »
Hi and sorry for my english.
I will try to be as clear and simple as possible.

Ga-ax370 gaming k5 / ryzen 1600x

I had bios F4 and all was ok except RAM instability at full speed (@2666)
So, I decided to updated the bios to latest F5a. I did it in windows 10 via Gigabyte @bios.
All went ok (process done 100%)  and @bios utility ask me to reboot.
After rebooting system wont post anymore. 4 diagnostic leds , the one corresponding CPU is on and all rgb fusion leds are off

I tried to reset cmos -> same problem.
I tried to remove and reinstall CPU -> same problem

I never overclocked cpu and my cpu temp was never >55C (ty to corsair h100).
 The only parameter I modified after every bios upgrade was to enable ram xmp profile.

Any ideas?
Can a bios upgrade kill a cpu?
Could be really the cpu fault ?
In that case it would be really strange that cpi died right after the bios upgrade.

Small update:
Attached a speaker -> 0 beep ...nothing
Tried to measure cs on the 2 bios chip... they are bot high (2v)
Thanks
Alan
OK, so firstly yes a firmware update can kill a CPU, as has been the case with the recent September firmware release for many of the Gigabyte AM4 motherboards. Basically, they were overvolting the CPU to very high levels and killing them. This firmware has been taken down though, so should not be your issue. Secondly, the latest firmware for your mobo is not F4, it is F5a. Thirdly, I do have some ideas. First, it could be a Soft Brick situation. Search for the unbricking procedure either here or on the US Gigabyte forums. usually there is zero sign of life on the board for this though, so perhaps not? Plan B, it could well be that you've had a bad flash. This is much more likely if flashing from within Windows. Don't do that again. Just put the new firmware on a USB stick and flash it using the system built in to the bios. Is it called QuickFlash or QFlash or something? It's an option on the boot screen, I think on my Gaming 5 you hold down 'End' (instead of 'Del' as used to get into the bios settings).

So, to reflash you'll need to boot to your backup bios. Hopefully the GK5 has a switchable bios with a physical switch on the mobo like mine (the G5). If so, switch to the backup bios, boot to Qflash (or whatever it's called) with the USB stick in, switch over to the original bios (carefully!!!) and activate the flash process.

If your motherboard is like the G3, and has a backup bios only available via a key press, use the keypress to switch to the backup bios then update it using QFlash. Note that you now have one dead bios and one working one. Unless you can remove the dead bios chip and reflash it externally (through a helpful company, I believe there used to be one in the Netherlands) then you'll just have to be careful from now on as your one second chance has now been burned.

If you have no backup bios on the GK5 (I doubt that as the G3 is lower spec) then you're shafted and must extract the chip to get it reflashed professionally. Lesson to learn, NEVER flash a bios from within Windows. As the manufacturer's website states, you do this at your own risk. The risk is minimal if done outside Windows, but it holds true there as well. One of the reasons I got a G5 was the proper switchable bios.