Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (Rev 1.0) XMP Profile disappeared after BIOS update.

Hi,

I was hoping i could get some assistance with a problem i am having. Apologies in advance for the long post but i wanted to give as much info as possible and provided some screenshots. Please note the screenshots were before i updated to BIOS Ver.F8a which was this morning.

My problem:
I recently upgraded my PC 3 months ago, one of the upgrades I bought was 16GB of 3000MHz DDR4 RAM that have an XMP 2.0 Profile on them, When I first put my PC together and booted into the UEFI there was an XMP Option available and I enabled the XMP profile. The RAM was running at 3000MHz as it should and everything was hunky-dory. However since then I have updated the BIOS for connectivity purposes and now the XMP option has disappeared and I cant seem to change any of the settings manually.

My RAM is stuck at 2133MHz until I am able to enable XMP. I have tried using the UEFI "Memory Enhancement Settings - RELAX OC" to no effect, my RAM stays at 2133MHz regardless of any changes made including Odd Timings like 133/266.

I cannot roll back my BIOS as F8a changed firmware on both main and back-up BIOS's.

My PC:

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8GHz
GPU: Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (rev 1.0) BIOS v F8a
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz RGB CMR16GX4M2C3000C15
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200w
Boot Drive: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCIE SSD
CPU Cooler: Kraken x61

What i have done:
- I have tried swapping RAM around between different DIMMs ( slot 1 and 3, then 2 and 4), as well as swapping the sticks around in slots 2 and 4 (DIMM1).

- Updated to latest drivers on Gigabyte support page and also updated to F8a BIOS

- Tried changing Timings from 100 to 133 ( no effect)

- Tried to change all settings and am unable to access any of the non-greyed out options to change them from Auto. Pressing Enter on them does nothing.

- Cleared CMOS a few times.

- Tried back-up BIOS and no luck.

My Questions:
-Any idea what is actually happening here?

-Can someone help me set the timings manually so I can get what I paid for out of the RAM? Im a novice overclocker and never attempted RAM OC before.

-Is there something wrong with my RAM as on CPU-Z, Slot #2 shows the RAM is XMP 2.0 and 1.350v, yet Slot #4 doesnt say the same?

Screenshots:

CPU-Z

BIOS

Re: GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (Rev 1.0) XMP Profile disappeared after BIOS update.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 02:20:46 pm »
Narrowed it down with Memtest86. 1 x 8GB RAM stick is able to use XMP 2.0 and the other is not, i also cross referenced this by pulling both RAM sticks out and using 1 at a time.

Unsure of how this has happened though as it all worked with both sticks before the BIOS update. They are a pair that were purchased out of the packet together.

Re: GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (Rev 1.0) XMP Profile disappeared after BIOS update.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:09 am »
Fixed

RMA'd RAM and can now access and load XMP. Something screwed up with the BIOS update i guess...

Thanks for the help...