Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X399 Designare & Thunderbolt 3

Gigabyte X399 Designare & Thunderbolt 3
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:45:01 pm »
Hi,

http://techreport.com/news/32572/gigabyte-x399-designare-ex-adds-thunderbolt-to-threadripper

Please see above an article about the soon to be released Gigabyte X399 Designare motherboard that is speculated to support thunderbolt 3 via a 5 pin header on the motherboard.

I've just viewed the motherboard manual and have seen a header connection labelled F_USB30C which I am hoping will support the thunderbolt 3 add in card.

Please would someone confirm that this is definitely the header that will support thunderbolt 3 add in card?

Gigabyte have 2 thunderbolt 3 add in cards now, a revision 1 and revision 2

Please would someone also confirm that both will work if the F_USB30C header is indeed the thunderbolt 3 header?

There is no mention to thunderbolt 3 in the pages online unless I've missed it so what better place to ask such a question!!! -  ;D - than the Gigabyte forum -  :D

Thanks in advance -  8)

Re: Gigabyte X399 Designare & Thunderbolt 3
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:43:36 am »
Hello folks -  :)

I've looked a little more on this board and I've seen a 5 pin header just to the right hand side of the chipset.  This is below the F_USBC30 header so my previous post was asked incorrectly.

I've not seen any information on this though pertaining TH3 so if there are some staff members who can elaborate, please do so and please mention when this board is going on sale -  ;D - thanks

Re: Gigabyte X399 Designare & Thunderbolt 3
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:53:29 pm »

I've not seen any information on this though pertaining TH3 so if there are some staff members who can elaborate, please do so and please mention when this board is going on sale -  ;D - thanks

Agree - the main reason I've avoided any purchacing decisions relating to Epyc and the Ryzen series is due to lack of motherboards with Thunderbolt3 - TB3 is already heavily deployed for our Corporate fleet of laptops at this point and the Single Dock port and 20Gbit network seemlessly integrated has basically forced AMD out of the running for workstations currently.

Given tb3 is now an open standard not requiring licence costs (and the cert track is now simplified) It seems ridiculous that it's not everywhere on enthusiast and workstation boards now.