Official GIGABYTE Forum

Question Connecting 5.1 Surround System

Question Connecting 5.1 Surround System
« on: May 20, 2010, 05:06:04 am »
I was going to order this 5.1 surround system for pc gaming,movies ect...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

I am using this motherboard-GA-MA790GPT-UD3H.It says in the manual it supports 5.1,but I'm wondering if I should get a separate sound card.I am using 2 desktop speakers atm,so anything will be a  improvement.I read something in the manual that stated it takes 2.1  sound and simulates 5.1,7.1ect.through the other speakers.I'm confused ???Am I getting a simulated 5.1 using the motherboard connections.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Question Connecting 5.1 Surround System
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:58:45 am »
Hi,

The on-board sound chips supplied on modern motherboards are actually very good and for general purpose they will serve the end user well. Unless you are looking to spend lots of hard earned cash, wish to do multitrack recording at low latency or are obsessed with blowing your windows out with sound then you don't really need another sound card.

The Logitec speaker set you are looking at are also reasonable and will provide you with a better sound experience than you currently have and the on-board audio chip will provide you with 5.1 sound without any issues.

ATB

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »
Thanks.I have been doing alot of research since I posted this question.

One comment I read using a sound card vs onboard audio

"I bought a high end motherboard that had hi-def 5.1 on-board sound so I initially didn't think I would benefit from this sound card. I've heard that having a sound card can improve frame rates from taking the sound rendering off the mother board so I decided to try it out since the card was inexpensive. I'm glad I did- the sound seems slightly higher quality, and I was able to change my graphics settings from high to ultra in Dirt2 after I installed the card".

I tend to take comments on Newegg with a grain of salt,but it can be helpful at times.The Logitech X-540 seem like a great solution for a 5.1 system on your pc.I read about 1000 comments between Newegg and Amazon.You cant compare this to a high end 5.1/7.1 system,but for my gaming,music,and movies this is pretty sweet for less than a 100 dollars.This is only for my pc.Many people use this on there tvs,but that's not it's intended use.70 watts of 5.1 is not made for entertainment center in your main room ;D Although,using this for the PS3 or X360 would get the job done. I bought it from Amazon with free shipping for 97 dollars.I read alot of comments to get a sound card for this system to avoid hissing and popping,along with better sound.Thats debatable.The problem is that I'm not going to spend 70 to 100 dollars on a sound card with a 100 dollar 5.1 system.I  also read alot of reviews on sound cards,and hopefully came up with a cheaper sound card solution to suit my needs.It seems alot of the cheaper sound cards have crummy support,which goes with the territory.I found this card for 32 dollars with shipping.It seems to have little or no issues,good driver support,and gets the job done.I hope thats the case.If not,then I'm back to onboard audio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16829270008

I'm knocking on wood,but the GA-MA790GPT-UD3H has given me no problems.I heard the northbridge tends to run hot,but I have 2 120mm  intake fans in the front,and one of these keeps NB very cool. I have a separate NIC card installed,and soon a sound card. I want to take the stress out of onboard, integration as much as possible.It seems to keep things cooler,but just a guess on my part.

Question  ::) I looked in my add/remove programs and found the Realtek high definition audio driver.I can un-install this no problem.I know I will also need to disable onboard sound in bios.Is there any other traces or programs I need to delete  to avoid conflicts, when installing the new sound card?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:37:24 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »
Hi,

If you disable the on-board audio chip in BIOS you should have no problems with an add-on sound card or its drivers.

I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 Audio Interface and have had no issues with this and, if I wanted to, I can still run the on-board audio. (I have done so when playing around and had no problems at all)

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:30:42 am »
Hi,

If you disable the on-board audio chip in BIOS you should have no problems with an add-on sound card or its drivers.

I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 Audio Interface and have had no issues with this and, if I wanted to, I can still run the on-board audio. (I have done so when playing around and had no problems at all)

ATB

Nice card! I was checking out pricing and options on the M-Audio Delta 1010.That's out of my price range,but I would guess with that card,your running a nice set-up.My main entertainment system is where I spent some coin,but I wanted surround sound for pc gaming.I do like some of Gigabytes options for audio.The equalizer,sound setup,testing ect...Is it possible for me to use these  features when I add a sound card.I really did not play around with the software,and motherboards audio options to much,as I have a 2 cheap desktop speakers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:35:44 am by toostrike »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32:28 am »
Hi Toostrike,

The audio set-up options that will be available to you really depends on the soundcard you fit and the software/drivers that are supplied. Once you have disabled the on-board sound you most probably won't have the same options for Set-up, EQ etc., but you will get something similar.

Nice card! I was checking out pricing and options on the M-Audio Delta 1010.That's out of my price range,but I would guess with that card,your running a nice set-up
The reason I am using the Delta 1010 is because I do a lot of multitrack recording (I'm a semi-retired singer/songwriter) so I need multi input recording/playback with very low latency. This card is connected to a 16 Track Beheringer mixing desk, which in turn is connected to a Sony Hi-Fi amp for general playback and also a pair of Fostex PM0.5 Bi Amped Powered Nearfield Monitors for recording and mixing. To be honest, I don't really know how much this set-up would cost to replace now but it has been built-up gradually so the initial outlay didn't seem to bad.

For your information my current rig is:
Chassis: NZXT Tempest Evo
Mobo: GA-790XTA-UD4
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1060T BE 125W
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Air cooler
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2 x CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 (8 Gig)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon ATI 4850x2 (1 Gig)
Monitors: 1 x Viewsonic 2216W & 2 x LG L194WT
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 1010
HDD's: 2 X WD 640 Gig Caviar Black SATA3, 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB, 1 x Seagate 1TB, 1 x Hitachi 500 Gig (SATA2)
DVD/CD: Liteon
Graphics Tablet: Wacom PTZ3
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:21:43 pm »
I downloaded the manual already,but still waiting on the card.The software includes a mixer,equalizer,and your basic stuff.That works for now.A singer/songwriter.Cool.I wish I could have that kind of career.I love music.I'm 45,so I grew up old school.My first concert was Black and Blue.Sabbath & BOC.You know what I mean,You knew all the groups,concerts were cheap,and always a good party.My boss is 12 years older,and is a musician on the side.He made my laugh the other day.He said,back in the day, he did not have $2.50 cents to see a Doors concert  ;D I would have been tripping right through that fence,money or not! I'm listening to some Peter Green as I type.He used to be the lead singer way before Stevie Nicks.I'm sure you knew that stuff.How about some Alex Harvey.I just downloaded a concert from him back in 77.Awesome!

Nice Rig!I plan on building another system next year.It seems after building your first pc it turns into an obsession.Maybe 6 core Amd's will be a bargin ;D.I love AMD.Lookin'out for the small guy.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:47:39 pm by toostrike »