Official GIGABYTE Forum

Wrong readings with new BIOS F3 (GA-790XTA-UD4) and AMD Overdrive

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: Wrong readings with new BIOS F3 (GA-790XTA-UD4) and AMD Overdrive
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 06:34:43 pm »
Well, no one complained so I thought... it is either working or you are ALL blind!

No worry 8)

BTW Have short reading about how to place pictures into your posts:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,22.msg31.html#msg31

OK,

I am now testing the F4A beta BIOS. The PC seems to be running OK but I am NOT really overclocking anything.
(...) The issue of PATA drives being combined with the SATA Drive Controller has been addressed and I can once again disable the PATA controller so it is not being tested or searched for during POST or BOOT. This does help speed up the BOOT a little, especially if you have no PATA drives or devices installed.

:)

The problem with temperature reporting in EasyTune6 & Core Temp still seems to be there. When checking the CPU temp in BIOS it is showing as 37°C but Coretemp is reading 31°C and EasyTune 6 is reading 35°C. (See following picture)

Having done some further research into this I do not believe that this is a BIOS fault but a limitation of the software in reporting the temps. Easytune6 seems to be the more accurate of the two readings but they are only a guide and, if you are attempting to overclock your system, I would advise extreme caution when using either of these programmes and not to rely on them for accuracy.

Correct, it's "limitation of the software in reporting the temps" - blame Coretemp  ;) and don't forget that Windows in idle mode cools down CPU due to same energy saving functions, so that's why temperature is lower than under BIOS monitoring.

ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:58 am »
BTW Have short reading about how to place pictures into your posts:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,22.msg31.html#msg31

Yes, it's as clear as mud now! ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »
Yes I see what you mean :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

alforan

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:47 pm »
Bumping and old thread... All the bug listed here are still there; it could not be different for the simple reason no new bios was released...

Especially the wrong PCI frequency scares me. I am going to buy a 6 core to be used in this motherboard and I really should like to see the bug fixed... Gigabyte please... :)

-- alfie

bytheway_r

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:28 pm »
You can set it manually to 100Mhz in bios. I think it runs at that value on auto anyway. AMD Overdrive always gave me strange readings, so I gave up on it. Unless you're experiencing some problems indicating that the PCI freq. is higher than 100Mhz I wouldn't worry.

A good deal of the problems listed here is common, at least within Gigabyte boards. The 1.6v RAM voltage instead of 1.5v I can't figure out. I have this problem on my other MB but on my GA-790XTA-UD4 it works as it should. HT link and bus speed are likely both read properly if they're only a little higher than auto ( 200Mhz/2000Mhz ). For some reason bus speed is actually running 200.8/200.9Mhz which equals a higher HT link.

edit: I downloaded AOD again just to see what it'd show me. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or I'd be cleaning my screen now ;D. Somehow, I seriously doubt that my PCIe is running at 345Mhz. The GPU going crazy aside, I think I'd have to increase PCIe volts to even dream of such values. Not to mention RAM volts reported as 1.6 when it's over 1.7v in reality.

What can I say... AOD sucks and is probably potentially dangerous.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:17:46 pm by bytheway_r »