Official GIGABYTE Forum

Stabilizing memory at 1600MHz on Gigabyte- GA-MA790XT-UD4P

I presume there are other posts regarding this issue but I have not been able to find any as yet. If you know of relevant posts please direct me to them to save your time. Having said that I suppose they would have to relate specifically to my setup-

CPU-PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ BLACK ed.
M.Board-Gigabyte- GA-MA790XT-UD4P
G.Card-  2GB XFX nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 SLI 1GB HD
Memory- 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit

I put this system together a few months ago now and it runs stable at what I presume is the default memory setting speed (As shown in 'Easytune 6') of 1332MHz. As you can see above the G.Skill memory installed can run at 1600MHz. I would like to take advantage of this and be able to run it at that speed. Can anyone give me specific settings to allow this speed and for the system to be stable. If you cannot be precise can you tell me what settings to consider and adjust? (Please be precise if you have the time).
I don't know if it is relevant but I am running a dual boot 64bit system with Windows XP & Windows 7. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:59:51 pm by runn3R »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Stabilizing memory at 1600MHz on Gigabyte- GA-MA790XT-UD4P
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36:30 am »
Hi,

It's frustrating when you buy 1600Mhz memory only to find that, once you've put your system together, it is only running at 1333Mhz by default. But, before upping the speed it might be worth considering what you are hoping to gain by doing so. The actual benefits of the slight frequency increase are, to be honest, not that great and you would actually gain greater performance by upping the speed of the CPU (you have a Black Edition so that is much easier) so long as you have a good CPU cooler to help keep the temps down.

The memory controller is actually built into the CPU and you have to manually set this from within BIOS to get 1600Mhz. Enter BIOS and go to the MIT section. The heading Set Memory Clock is set to AUTO be default and you need to change this to manual. Once you have done this you can then set the Memory Clock, this needs to be at x8 to get the 1600 Mhz rating. Now, if you are lucky, that is all you will need to do. Save and exit BIOS and reboot. On the POST screen you will see your memory is now at its correct value.

If you find that your System has become unstable you will need to make further adjustments, from within BIOS to the DRAM Configuration where you can alter the timings and to the System Voltage Control, where you can increase/decrease the voltage to your RAM. (Check your manual for more info on this)

Hope this helps

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
Hi, Thanks for taking the time to answer my request. I followed your instructions soon after reading the post and my system seems to be running stable as before at the correct speed for the memory. Very grateful.
Steve.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:02:46 am »
No problem, pleased to help!  :)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

babdi

• Future is Overclocking and is free
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:22 am »
Increase the RAM voltage to +0.050 at 1600 and see.
Phenom II,x4,3.5 Ghz, OC 4.218 Stable
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1
RAM 1600 GSkill-RiPjaws ,9-9-9-24,1.5 V, 16GB
MSI 460 GTX, 1GB
Seagate 320 GB HDD AHCI mode
H70 push pull coolar
Corsair HX750 W PSU
M59 NZXT case