Official GIGABYTE Forum

Tech support not functioning - help needed

Tech support not functioning - help needed
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »
This Q and A is at a dead end:
Question - 867966
What is the maximum current that can be drawn from SYS_FAN2's "+12V / Speed Control" pin, that is, pin 2?
----------------------------------
Hardware measurement:

Current Rating: 4A, AC, DC

Voltage Rating: 250V AC, DC
This answer doesn't make any sense. Please refer my question to an engineer.
We have check with our related department and that was the answer.

Maybe you can rephrase the question? What is the maximum current that can be drawn from SYS_FAN2's "+12V / Speed Control" pin, that is, pin 2?

Pottypete

Re: Tech support not functioning - help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:50 pm »
Hi,
Have you tried the uk site here,
 http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Company/ContactUs.aspx?CompanyWebPageID=6&ID=6#sel_country
Don't seem to make much sense does it!!
250v ac/dc 4 amps haha,
cheers

jonj678

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:30:12 am »
That's pretty funny. Woeful failure by tech support there.

For what it's worth, the cpu fan header for my x58 UD5 is rated to 2.5A. Obviously at 12V. This is possibly from the same guys you asked though, so take it with a pinch of salt. Especially since 30W seems high enough, though 48W completely improbable.

I had fun with Dell tech support a while back, trying to find the specs for a replacement ac adapter for a laptop. I was repeatedly told 230V, the fifth person I got through to understood my argument why 230V is a useless specification and quoted 21V @ 12A (it was a big laptop). Didn't fully believe her, but goes to show that "technical support" can be woefully ignorant.  

I'd suggest you run a single 25mm fan from each one, chaining fans off the headers or attaching 38mm ones is always going to be somewhat risky.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:31:06 am by jonj678 »

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:41 am »
"Have you tried the uk site"

I did address my question to the UK site, since I had found the Danish Site profoundly incompetent.

This is the first machine I have put together and it will be my last, since Support tends to be non-existent at best.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:22:34 pm »
After saying I would fax the Pres. of Gigabyte and some other bad things ;-) Tech Support posted part of the P55 motherboard schematic for me. The output stage (Q18) for speed control to SysFan 2 is a PA102FDG FET. It is rated at 10 A continuous and 24 A pulsed. My case fans are .24 A at full speed, so it doesn't look like I will have any problem driving the three installed in parallel.

I also wanted to know if the speed sense connection was necessary for speed control, but it looks like it will be a lot easier just to plug in the 2 wire fans I have and see what happens.