Official GIGABYTE Forum

Warranty on Gigabyte graphics cards?

bhavv

Warranty on Gigabyte graphics cards?
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:16:37 pm »
Hi. How long is the warranty on Gigabyte graphics cards? I found some 1 GB 4870's for just £154  and ordered a pair, so would like to check if they are just 1 year, or 3 years like the motherboards are.

Thanks.

These cards here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-046-GI&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: Warranty on Gigabyte graphics cards?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:27 am »
Hi

1. ask Overclockers about their warranty conditions

2. If they provide you will less than 3 years then you can always send your damaged VGA directly to GIGABYTE UK RMA. Check details at http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,85.0.html as this was already discussed some time ago.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:17:50 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

bhavv

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:30:47 pm »
Thanks. I just wanted to know the length of the manufacturers warranty to make sure it was 3 years, I've only had 1 year on graphics cards before which is why I asked, but it is good to have 3 years now, even though I usually swap out my graphics cards as soon as prices on the next one up drop.

Putting memory sinks on doesnt invalidate the warranty with Gigabyte does it? The cards have bare memory and I have lots of BGA memory sinks and akasa thermal tape.

Badbonji

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:32:18 am »
I think as long as you can remove them and do not modify the actual card in the process I think it should be ok, if anything I would think it would benefit the card to have them.

Just confirm this with Gigabyte, but to return them to www.overclockers.co.uk by an RMA you cannot modify the product, so not sure if that comes under it:
4.Modified Goods. Any goods that have been modified or physically altered in any way shall be deemed Warranty Void and no support will be provided.
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:13:05 pm »
Yes, Overclockers are right about RMA conditions, so if any problem happens you will need to remove the memory sinks.

Please remember, in case when VGA is modified or damaged somehow during installing / removing of these sinks, the warranty will be void.

bhavv

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:41:50 am »
Yea, Im still pondering whether I should keep and install some Thermaltake Sorbs that I bought, or just use the Zalman coolers already on the cards and sell my Sorbs.

The Sorbs are like nearly double the size with two extra heatpipes, but the Zalmans are already good enough and completely silent.

I initially wanted everything in the new PC to be aluminium and blue lights, but will no longer have a side window.

I find it odd that the cards dont have memory sinks already on them though as Gigabyte is a premium brand and these cards are normally expensive, but   

Without my case side fans turned on, the cards reach 75 degrees, but my new Antec P182 will have brilliant case cooling.

This is not to do with the warranty, just that I dont actually need to touch the Zalman coolers on these cards, I just wanted better looking ones that match the motherboard and CPU cooler I'm getting.

I would like to try and keep the new PC for 3 years without upgrading, and can add one more 4870 over this time instead of getting new cards. 

The heatsink can be easilly changed back to the stock ones, but memory sinks are difficult to remove.

I will E mail Gigabyte tomorrow and ask about the memory sinks before deciding to add them or not.

bhavv

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »
Oh well, I tried to remove the stock cooler on one of the cards today, and it is stuck down very strongly, it seemed to be a permanent thermal paste :(.

So I wont be modifying them.

Badbonji

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:56:15 pm »
Odd, usually most are replaceable. Missed any screws? I would of thought it would be possible.
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor

bhavv

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 02:31:21 am »
I took of the 4 screws on the back, but it was still stuck down and the pins wouldnt even push out from the back. I obviously dont want to exert excessive pressure. 

The orange coolers are a nice contrast in my case though, but the thermaltakes are matching aluminium with blue lights and bigger. I might try removing them again tomorrow, but doesnt look like they will shift. 

Beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 02:58:53 pm »
hellllooo!

seems to be the first my post here so WELCOME EVERYBODY !

i had the same problem with one of gigabyte products and the solution was simple :
1. warm up the thermal paste or gum, however called (let the vga have heavy work for a few hours or use hair dryer)
2. not to shift or pull but rotate (as the clock arm does) instead
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:05:40 pm by Beekeeper »
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

bhavv

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
Hi. I'm having another problem now, it seems that ATI CCC is not detecting both cards and I cannot enable crossfire.

I have used GPUZ and that detects both cards, but says crossfire is disabled.

I have both cards installed with two 6 pin connectors to each, and a single crossfire adaptor between them, but I cannot activate crossfire.

I will try the other crossfire connector tommorow, and even try both but you should only need one for two cards.

I'll try asking on ATI Game forums as well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:01:36 pm by bhavv »

Badbonji

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:07:02 pm »
ATi Drivers are a bit fidly. I would suggest to get something like DriverCleaner and uninstall the drivers using that programme or similar, the download the 9.4 again.

Check that both cards work in the primary PCI-E slot too.
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor

bhavv

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:43:12 am »
Oh, I already fixed it. I used the drivers on the CD and they work with crossfire.

I tried rotating the cards, switching the crossfire cables, using the drivers from Gigabytes website, nothing worked.

Then I tried the drivers on the CD and can enable crossfire :).

Both cards are stable and artifact free at 790 / 1050. Next I look up how to push the core to 850 Mhz.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 08:42:09 am »
Hi bhavv

nice to hear it's working. yes, sometimes drivers from bundled cd are the best ones, i am also a bit surprised. anyway it's OK

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:52 am »
Not meaning to thread hi-jack, but what's Gigabyte's policy on changing coolers on their cards?

Curious, as I know there are a few companies that allow removal so long as returns as sent with original heatsink attatched... But others are no go and put stickers on the back plates to instantly VOID cards.

Also - what would be the possibility of "OEM Cards"? No one does it as of yet, but I know I'd buy them! Cards with no cooler, just reference design to allow easy watercooling? Obviously it'll be a specific market and will require a more specific warranty, but it would be nice if someone actually did it!

Would mean people buying cards wouldn't get confused over compatability. I know loads have bought the 1GB 4870's lately and over 50% aren't compatable with the standard block, and only 20% of that 50% are compatible with the non-reference blocks available.

I'm aware you simple could do a watercooled version, but for those who have their favourite blocks, it wouldn't really suit because there will always be someone who doesn't like how it's designed...

~Bex