Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD5 Win7 installation reboot freezes at Verifying DMI Pool Data

Six days, researched around the net, no solutions.  So here I am regretting every minute of buying these m.boards.

Here's the problem....

Installation of Windows 7 Professional freezes after first reboot at:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....

---
GA-X58A-UD5
Intel CPU i7 920
BIOS Version F5
Corsair RAM 3x4gig modules in Slots 1,2,3
4 x Western Digital HDD in two RAID arrays

Raid 1 = SATA slots 4,5 (ICH)
Raid 2 = SATA slots 8,9 (Gigabyte) - power disconnected for duration of problem
---

Although initial launch to install Win7 appears to go ahead and installation files are unpacked, with RAID driver taken off CD - (cannot locate any specific Win7 compatible driver for the RAID function on the ICH channels so using the 64-bit \BootDrv\iMSM\64Bit files), the first reboot of the system freezes at Verifying DMI Pool Data... message.

HDD is partitioned with 1 primary partition for Windows, and extended partition with one logical partition in place for future use and remainder of HDD unallocated.

If I leave the Windows Boot disc in CD drive it will go through the launch process again, not booting into the next stage of installation process.

If I enter BIOS to set HDD as first boot option the system will freeze again, same message.

I have disconnected the second raid, power unplugged, as per advice on many other boards and forum threads to reduce confusing Windows.

I cannot find any solution to this problem.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi
First thing to do would be go back to basic installation(no raid). Upgrade BIOS to latest version. What PSU are you using? Check the ram with memtest.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi
First thing to do would be go back to basic installation(no raid). Upgrade BIOS to latest version. What PSU are you using? Check the ram with memtest.

Removing the RAID defeats the objective of installing two raid arrays.  If it can't handle those then it's a non-functional device.
PSU is an Antec unit, 850W.
I've already up-dated BIOS, as stated in my first post.
Will have to find, download and run memtest later, but I don't see how it relates to the issue.

What should be a relatively simple task lasting a couple of hours to install the OS, has turned into an eight day R&D project taking em away from work, and in all my years building new machines I've never had this kind of issue before.

Hi
First thing to do would be go back to basic installation(no raid).

Done that, same issue - freezes at "Verifying DMI Pool Data........"

This occurs after first reboot, and when I have removed the Win7 installation DVD to allow it to boot off the HDD and the unpacked installation files.

When I return the installation DVD and reboot, it reverts to first installation start-up and begins loading files again.

This is when first boot drive is the DVD drive.

Altered boot sequence to put HDD as first boot device, and ...

"Verifying DMI Pool Data...." followed by unusual random characters (up/down arrow-like characters) and halted.

This is new.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:39:55 am by worldmaker »

Following ideas found elsewhere on the net I decided to disable the controllers - lower them to IDE only.

Rebooted, first stage of installation, copying and unpacking Win7 files went successfully.

Reboot, and removed installation DVD....

"Disk read error...."

Returned installation DVD ....

and returned to start installation routine again.

From this I have to assume that the motherboard controllers cannot handle the Western Digital HDDs whether they are set for IDE or RAID, with or without installing a driver at start-up.

There is something corrupting the drives or preventing the motherboard controlling them.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
I am only trying to help so being so confrontational is counter productive. :(
My setup is based on the UD7 board which is almost the same as yours and it runs two 640Gb Western Digital Black HDD in a RAID0 array with no problem. Exactly what Corsair ram are you using? I also use Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz on XMP. Is your DVD drive SATA or IDE?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

I am only trying to help so being so confrontational is counter productive. :(
My setup is based on the UD7 board which is almost the same as yours and it runs two 640Gb Western Digital Black HDD in a RAID0 array with no problem. Exactly what Corsair ram are you using? I also use Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz on XMP. Is your DVD drive SATA or IDE?

Thanks for your time and advice, I've now solved it.

Stupid problem really....

I had pre-formatted and partitioned my RAID array/HDDs and Win7 installation didn't like it.
So this morning I wiped the entire array, flattened it to zero and that made Windows happy.
It's now running on one partition, wrong one for my comfort but at least it's there.

I've also tested the three Corsair memory modules now I've upgraded the BIOS and they too now work perfectly in the triple channel slots 1,3,5

Now to install Windows, several times (for each partition).

::)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Good, I'm glad you got it sorted. :) I know how frustrating it can be to have a major problem and know there is a solution if only you can find it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Good, I'm glad you got it sorted. :) I know how frustrating it can be to have a major problem and know there is a solution if only you can find it.

Thanks!

Perseverance, patience and perspiration.

::)

carnyx

I solved my problem of endless looping of the windows intallation, by unplugging the sata hard dri ve drive and fitting a new 'normal' hard drive with a parallel cable, and links set as 'master'.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
I solved my problem of endless looping of the windows intallation, by unplugging the sata hard dri ve drive and fitting a new 'normal' hard drive with a parallel cable, and links set as 'master'.
Thanks for the info carnyx but i think that it is a little out of place here and as I said on your thread it is only a workaround not a fix.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB