Official GIGABYTE Forum

LINUX

LINUX
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:53:17 am »
I need a new motherboard for Linux only...Must be capable of booting from a usb port.
Any advice welcome..
Sorry..forgot to mention needs socket AMD AM2+/AM2 and also take my existing ddr2 ram
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:06:07 am by trufflesdad »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: LINUX
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:07:00 am »
Hi,

Is it a new build or will you be using some existing components?
What kind of money are you looking at spending?
Do you want AMD or Intel?
What memory are you planning to use?

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:53 am »
Hi,

Is it a new build or will you be using some existing components?
What kind of money are you looking at spending?
Do you want AMD or Intel?
What memory are you planning to use?

ATB

AMD socket am2+/am2..ddr2 ram...Trying to use as many of the components as I can
curren abit board has developed an intermittent fault and as my other older boxes use
Gigabyte boards with no problems I thought I would go for another...Would think cost between £50>£100

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »
Hi,

Here are a couple of boards that I have used in several builds. They both perform well and I have not come across any Linux issues. (I must add that I have only tried Ubuntu and I do not have a lot of experience of Linux based OS.) The people I built these machines for are using Ubuntu and have not told me of any problems.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GA-MA785GM-US2H-785G-AM2plus-AM3-PCI-E-20-DDR2-1200-SATA-3Gb-s-SATA-RAID-mATX-HDMI

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/GIGABYTE-GA-MA790X-UD3P

The links are for Scan UK but if you are not based here I'm sure you will be able to find the same boards locally.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.