Official GIGABYTE Forum

Linux

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Linux
« on: June 15, 2010, 03:28:53 pm »
I have not delved into the intricacies of Linux very much but have always had an interest in it. I suppose I have always had to use windows more because of customer's machines and I must admit I do like Win7. However I was interested in how many people on this forum use Linux and what flavour is the preferred one. Please comment here.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

venganza

• Pics of my junk
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:32:12 pm »
I have not delved into the intricacies of Linux very much but have always had an interest in it. I suppose I have always had to use windows more because of customer's machines and I must admit I do like Win7. However I was interested in how many people on this forum use Linux and what flavour is the preferred one. Please comment here.

Linux is far superior to Windows in many ways, sadly games isn't one of them (pity, since games can run better in Linux).

Anyway most people these use *buntu, I have used Linux since the early 90's and always preferred an RPM based distro, I find Mandriva 64bit "free" to be my weapon of choice.

Once upon a time Linux was a little "hard" now it is easier than Windows, pity, I use console only really, so it kind of sucks to see everyone just clicking a mouse these days :)
Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »
That's how I remember Linux mainly as a command driven interface even though I have used the more modern varieties like Ubuntu etc. I have just built up an old machine from spares that I had knocking about and thought it was a perfect time to try learning Linux in a bit more depth. I grew up with Basic and then DOS and somehow feel that Windows GUI lacks that bit of technique and power. I don't expect to be an expert but will be happy just to get things done with Linux.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »
On my laptop I have Win7 + unbuntu 10.04 dual booted. I use ubuntu 90% of the time. On my PC I just have Win7 as its mainly a gaming machine.

Theres a few people who have got certain games to work on linux...but what I can see, it just looks like a massive ball ache!
There's no place like ::1

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »
I have also recently been experimenting with Ubuntu and have found it very easy to use, In fact, much easier than my previous attempts to get my head around Linux based systems.

I now have it running on my laptop but on my main PC I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the Music Recording software I have to use, just will not run on Linux based systems. This is a big disappointment and I would much prefer to be running a Linux OS as I have found it to be much more stable and less resource hungry.

I also started a thread regarding the favourite OS of forum members a little while ago. You can check it out here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1614.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

venganza

• Pics of my junk
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:34 pm »
Look once upon a time, getting something like Slackware to run, was beyond most "Windows" type guys, the point-and-click brigade rarely bother to actually learn a damn about the OS they are using.

That is fine of course, you do not need to be a mechanic to change a tyre or drive a car, but it does make things more interesting :)

Today Linux installs just as easily as Windows, and is just as easy to use.

All complexity under the hood is due in part to the sheer power and flexibility of the OS itself, far more capable than Windows could ever be, and partly to the somewhat anachronistic commands, which are deeply rooted in the history of various older programs. Things like VI, Emacs and other apps have their own special keys etc.

This is not a concern to most users, on the surface Linux is pretty much install and do "stuff".

Now when people moan about "command line" or "difficulty", this is really silly, changing some config setting of any depth in GNU/Linux is just as easy as hacking a Win registry setting, no more no less, which might scare some of the mouse brigade, but is no big deal to anyone with a modicum of PC knowledge. In short Linux is dead easy these days.

As for games, there are many many hundred of good games out there for Linux, even commercially well known titles, however while Linux is a massively nice OS in general, I doubt it will be the choice of gamers any time soon sadly.

It is meet to keep in mind that brands names such as Ubuntu or Mandriva apply to the GUI only, just the cloths GNU/Linux wears, the OS itself is the kernal written by Linus originally and Richard Stallman's GNU toolset. So Ubunto isn't Linux, it is just a distribution that uses a few particular GUI's by default, with a little customisation of settings etc (many of them lame imho which is why I prefer Mandriva).

:D

Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".

simonw

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
Been using Ubuntu exclusively since 8.04, mainly because I no longer played games on Windows platform (and upgrading PC hardware is an expensive hobby).  No regrets so far, and best of all, Linux is free so I no longer pay Microsoft license fees.  Chose Ubuntu because it was the most popular distro at that time, so my theory was that there would be more people to support me if I needed help.

venganza

• Pics of my junk
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:58:09 pm »
Been using Ubuntu exclusively since 8.04, mainly because I no longer played games on Windows platform (and upgrading PC hardware is an expensive hobby).  No regrets so far, and best of all, Linux is free so I no longer pay Microsoft license fees.  Chose Ubuntu because it was the most popular distro at that time, so my theory was that there would be more people to support me if I needed help.

I used to dual boot, ever since Windows 95.

However since I do play games, for the last year or so, I have exclusively used Windows 7 (and actually find it most excellent).

Now of course I can run Linux on a dedicated machine (I picked up a nice KVM for $20).

I had no issue at all paying for Windows 7 Ultimate (cost me $290 normally $400 odd here), since I do believe it is the best OS Redmond has put out, however of course you just can't go past the price of any Linux distro :)

I do highly recommend that EVERYONE at least uses Linux to some degree, even if they only dabble, anything that broadens our PC horizons is a good thing, and those who get bitten by the Linux experience, there is a vast wealth of "stuff" to be discovered, and of course Linux experience can only improve you employability in the PC industry in general.

Beekeeper

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
another vote for ubuntu. good for browsing web and emails / messengers.
very nice, easy interface and runs fast even on old notebook.
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »
Well i have to say i am typing from Ubuntu 10.04LTS now. My laptop which is a G50VT-X1 from ASUS is fine under Linux. It is great. At work we are trying to get customers that are residential to use Ubuntu. Yes we will not get as much money from said customer, because of less break downs, OS issues. But when we show them that we do our job effectively by recommending Linux they will spread the word. Needless to say i would use Linux distro on at least one system Dark Mantis. The only downside which is already stated that if you use games, they are a b**** to get to run at full potential. I try using WINE and Playonlinux but i still noticed a slight lag in commands.

Now productivity wise, i am much faster on Linux. Plus best of all it is free! And the supports seems better, if the people on ubuntu.fourms.org would answer my questions lol.
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)  DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Intel X-25V 40gb SSD----FREE
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »
I use Archlinux on my servermachines and I love that distribution. But Arch use console mode only. You can gather an GUI to it but its a bit complicated.
Arch is a very stripped dist like Slackware, but it do have a packet manager called pacman.  :)

But remember this was for server purpose. If I would've used the machine as workstation, there would be no doubt using Ubuntu! :)

/Briggen

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:20 pm »
Linux Mint.
Dual boot my laptop, MS and Linux.
I always have a Mint Live CD with me , if I help a friend or neighbour it can help rule out OS problems.
I use Linux to prepare HDD's, old or new.
I also have a M-ITX  computer that I use as a home server/back-up on Linux.
I've "Played" with Linux since pre  GUI install days but I've never been comfortable with programs such as  Gimp and I have a custom database that will not run on Linux.

Bill.

xprezons

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:48:07 am »
I would agree that Ubuntu might be the best choice for someone wanting to take Linux out for a spin. With a large community of new Ubuntu users frequenting the forums, getting up and close with Linux was never so much fun. One can take things at their own pace with Linux. Most Linux distributions have very mature GUIs these days, making it very easy to transition from Windows. Matrix screensaver is no longer the Linux look  ;D

Games: I'm not much into it, but the links below might be a good place to read more about the range of games now available in Linux http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/linux-games-part-10.html.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/linux-games-news.html

For most mainstream hardware, installing Linux is a breeze these days, perhaps even easier than installing Windows. Most hardware is detected automatically and drivers are installed. No headache of running Antivirus software, anti-*-ware software, defragmenting drives....... For the occasional challenges, most forums are as warm as this one.

I personally use Fedora x86_64 (desktop) and x86(laptop). I have a partition to boot into Windows to run AMD overdrive or similar tools occasionally, but most of the time is spent using Fedora. I use VirtualBox on the Fedora host to run up any OS I fancy trying out.

A good place to check out what options Linux offers for the Windows software you use, check this out http://www.linuxalt.com/ Audacity is a good tool for audio recording and editing.

Once you get the feel of the power and flexibility of Linux, you won't go back to the 'other side'  :D Good Luck.
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE stepping c2 | MoBo Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (AMD 785G chipset AMD SB710) BIOS v F8 | HDD - WDC 1001FALS | OS Fedora 13 x86_64

Ice Tea

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:49 am »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:35:21 am by Ice Tea »

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 02:47:08 am »

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.