Official GIGABYTE Forum

PC randomly shuts off after updating BIOS

PC randomly shuts off after updating BIOS
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:01:30 am »
Hello , ever since I've updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS version (F6) my computer has been getting these hard random shut downs. It's not happening very often, it happened twice so far. This never happened before prior to updating the Bios. I had version F5 before this happened. My motherboard is the Gigabyte X99-Ultra Gaming :

www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10...

Specs: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-16GVR

Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2011-V3 140W BX80671I76850K

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 220-G3-0850-X1, 80+ GOLD

Each time it shuts down, it starts up after a few seconds, then I get the following message like this. I didn't take this picture, so those configuration settings that are shown are not mine:

And then another thing to mention is that I do not overclock , I rather leave the settings on default. The only settings I changed were memory and cpu to use XMP profile, smart fan settings, secure boot, and boot order. Everything else is left alone.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: PC randomly shuts off after updating BIOS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:25:41 pm »
Greetings,
Thanks for providing your system specs, this is helpful when troubleshooting these types of errors.   If the behavior is intermittent, your flash likely completed successfully.  If the attached pic is not yours, we would need to know the exact error that is displayed to advise you properly. 

Can you confirm this is the behavior.. Your system boots and runs normally, then without warning, it randomly shuts down, restarts, and displays a BIOS error?

Is there a common activity that causes this?  Playing a game, rendering video. (all 2 times its happened) :)

Could this behavior be the result of a recent change to hardware or system updates? 

Have you reviewed your Event Viewer for system and /or error information? 

Have you disconnected power and performed a CLR_CMOS? (jumper is located in the lower right-hand corner of your board.

If the BIOS update is in fact the problem, each can vary slightly in programming, so what works with one hardware configuration, might not work after update, without minor tweaking.  Not suppose to happen, but sometimes it does.  More so if you are using memory that is not on the QVL for your board or when aggressive BIOS setting are used.  I realize you aren't doing those things. 3000Mhz RAM requires slight OC.  XMP should take care of this for you.   

For future, I would recommend that you not arbitrarily flash just to have the latest BIOS.  If your system was stable on F5, and F6 didn't address or offer anything that might warrant flashing its best to stay where you are.  Stable, non-problematic machine.

I suggest you spend a little time investigating the cause which my resolve itself due to system updates in your system environment.  Since the issue has only happened twice you really can't say with certainty the BIOS is at fault. 

As a last resort, you should be able to go back to F5 without issue.     

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Re: PC randomly shuts off after updating BIOS
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:45:38 pm »
The message that i get is exactly the same as the one I posted, with just different configurations. The first time it happened while i was playing a game, the second time it happened while doing programming work.

My suspicion is probably a bug or bad BIOS update.  If it happens again then I might revert it back to the previous version, hopefully that fixes the problem. I also submitted a ticket to Gigabyte, see if they know anything about it , so i'm waiting on their response still. My temps are fine. I ran memtest86, it passed with no errors. And when i view in the event log all it tells me "Windows shut down unexpectedly" without telling me any more details.  Prior to all of this i did not experience any other problems, my system was very stable and did not experience a single random shutdown.