Official GIGABYTE Forum

AX-370 Aorus Gaming K5 + Ryzen 1700X - PC won't start

margot

AX-370 Aorus Gaming K5 + Ryzen 1700X - PC won't start
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:39:03 pm »
Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at building a PC. After I mounted all parts and booted for the first time, the motherboard LEDs lit up fine, the CPU fan started to work and I heard a sound like a pc was going to boot, but this sound fade away fast. The case fans remained still and the monitor, connected via HDMI, reported "no signal".

I started unplugging parts and now I am down to MB, CPU, CPU COOLER and RAM and I still get the same effect as above. The only difference now is that after I removed the GPU, the VGA led remains lit.

I've also tried the following: Booted the system using one stick of memory, trying each chip separately, just in case; unplugged and re-plugged the CPU cable; unplugged the usb cable of the case. Nothing.

I'm an utter newbie and completely lost. Any help as to how should I proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Margot

MY CONFIGURATION
-----------------------------------------------------
MBOARD:   Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5
CPU   :       AMD RYZEN 1700X
GPU :   Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 8GB (GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD)
RAM :   Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x16GB DDR4-3200MHz
PSU :   THERMALTAKE SPS-730MPCBEU SMART SE SERIES 730W
SSD :    Corsair Force Series MP500 240GB
CPU COOLER :   CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: AX-370 Aorus Gaming K5 + Ryzen 1700X - PC won't start
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
Hi Margot,

it's a real pain when this kind of thing happens, especially when it's your first attempt at putting a PC together.

Sorry to do this to you but, I would recommend you go back to the beginning and start the build process again. Do NOT remove the CPU from the motherboard, you shouldn't need to go back that far but remove all of the cables you have attached and remove the motherboard from the PC case. Put the motherboard on top of the box that it came in.

If you have a quick look through this article: https://www.scribd.com/document/43985093/Ga-890fxa-Ud5-Review it will show you the basic steps of putting a PC together outside of the PC case. Although this is a pretty old review, the testing process is the same.

As you will have noticed, I use a set of switches that I have, but you can connect the power switch from the PC case onto the correct pins on the motherboard instead. Do NOT connect any other cables from the PC case at this time.

So, your basic setup should be as follows:
Motherboard with CPU and CPU fan attached. (sitting on a cardboard box)
One stick of RAM
24 pin ATX power connector from the PSU connected to the motherboard.
8 pin power lead from the PSU to the CPU socket. Make sure that you are not using a lead that is meant for the GPU.
Your GPU and any power lead(s) that it may require.
Monitor connected to the GPU (not the port on the back of the motherboard).
Mouse & keyboard attached to the rear USB ports.
Now try to power up the system using the switch on the PC case.
Make sure that you have removed the Corsair drive too.
Does the PC start?
If it doesn't double check that the basic cable connections are firmly attached at the motherboard and to the correct sockets on the PSU. Also double check that you have correctly connected the power switch from the PC case to the motherboard.
Now try to start the PC again. Does it start?
Check the diagnostic LEDS on the motherboard? Are any of them lit and, if they are, which one(s) as this will indicate where there is a problem. If only one lights up and it is the BOOT LED then the system has started properly.
If you are still not getting any signal on your monitor, can you connect it using the DVI-D DL socket from the GPU instead of the HDMI lead? If you can, shutdown the PC, connect monitor this way and try to start the PC again.

If the PC does start up correctly then great, we know the issue is with the HDMI connection which can probably be resolved later on.

You can start putting it back together in the PC case, making sure that there are the correct amount of stand-offs and nothing is sitting under the motherboard that may cause a short circuit.

If the PC still doesn't start then please post back with your results.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

margot

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »
Absic, you are my hero! It worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

The only problem now is that the fans that came with the tower won't work. I suppose I need to get new ones, as the fan that I bought separately works fine.

Also the HDD is not detected. It shares the same power cable as the bluray drive and different SATA port. The bluray is detected fine, though.

margot

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »
I figured out what to do with the HDD. The stack fans are still dead. :)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »
Pleased you got the PC running Margot.

With regard to the PC case fans, are they connected to the motherboard headers or do they need to be supplied power directly from the PSU?

If they are connected to the motherboard, are they three or four pin connectors?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

margot

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »
Hello, absic, and please forgive the late reply. The fans came connected to a molex connector. As I didn't know what to do with the molex, I detached them and connected each one directly on to the motherboard. They have 3 pins, like the extra fan I got.

Yesterday I noticed that I had a molex cable that could be connected to the PSU, so today I connected those two fans directly to the PSU and they work. Why wouldn't they work when connected to the mb, just like the other fan?

Btw, the molex to psu cable also has an end that looks like a fan header. Could Iconnect that end on the motherboard so I can have control over those 2 fans?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:32:32 pm by margot »