Official GIGABYTE Forum

New build problems with EP43-S3L

New build problems with EP43-S3L
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:35 pm »
Hi

I have just done a rebuild using a EP43-S3L with an E7400 C2D and a Silver Power SP-SS500 PSU. At present I am using 1GB of XMS2 5400 RAM as the RAM I bought for the build is back for an RMA. I am re-using an HIS X1950 GPU

The machine is very unstable with graphics crashing frequently

What I wanted to ask you guys is about a message in the BIOS. On the Intelligent Tweaker page of the BIOS when the Robust Graphics Booster is selected there is a message in the Item Help window that reads as follows "Warning: VGA graphics card is not guaranteed to operate normally" This is in red. It is there regardless of the Robust Graphics Booster setting.

Are there any BIOS setting that would get things right and remove this message?

cheers

Paul

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: New build problems with EP43-S3L
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:05:11 am »
Hi Paul

just disable " Robust Graphics Booster", don't worry about the message in help window.
have you tried to change your vga into different one ?
you may also try with newer bios for this mobo.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:55 pm »
Runn3r

The " Robust Graphics Booster" does not have a disable setting in the BIOS.

I have tried my old X800 in the machine and it works fine. The X1950 also works well in another machine. I have checked the voltage on the PCI-E power plug and that looks good.

I don't really want to update the BIOS unless this is a known issue.

Is there a moderator out there who can help on this

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:37 am »
ok, so set R.G.B. (Robust Graphics Booster) to Default which is Auto. if still no better then try to change the PSU.
and of course bios, why not to change it in case you have the older one?
try 2 latest ones:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2848

BTW what happens exactly ? any error message you get ?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:45:34 pm »
Runn3r

The RGB has been set on Auto all along. I will try to avoid a PSU swap as the only spare one I have is 20 pin one from about four years ago which does not have dedicated PCI-E feed.

The current BIOS version is F7 so only F8 is a full update and the issue indicated is not relevant. I am worried that the BIOS flash might fail leaving the situation even worse. One other side issue is the Easy Tune 6 will not run on the machine so I am worried about @BIOS failing.

What happens is the graphics crash with the screen going black and this happens repeatedly until the ATI VPU Recover kicks in with a reset. In some cases like loading TF2 or DoD Source the whole machine freezes on the start screen with a re-start being needed.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:42:36 am »
I imagine this is your PSU. You say the PC runs fine with an X800 which doesn't require a 6pin connection, but as soon as it comes into play, you have problems. Silver power is a cheap brand and not the best.

What I suggest is that you download Furmark or 3D Mark and run it for ~1hr with each card. If it doesn't fail on either, then it's not GPU related. In which case, download Prime 95 and run overnight. If it can do ~8hrs with 0 errors or reboots, then we're looking at something software related.  Might want to do a format + reinstall of windows to eliminate any bad drivers etc.

On a side note -  love this board so freakin much! Got a Q6700 on air (Akasa 965) there at the moment running 400FSB*9 for a loverly 3.6ghz solid & <50c @ 100% load!!! - almost makes me want to downgrade to 1 of these puppies to play around with it some more! :D

~Bex

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:10:24 pm »
I swapped out the PSU with a Hiper R560 which runs the X1950 fine in another machine and the problem stayed the same so its not the PSU. I tried a different hard drive and did a fresh Windows install. There was still the warning message in the BIOS and the same issues.

I have not done the Furmark or 3D Mark or Prime 95 tests yet, do you still think they are worth trying?

The only component still in the frame is the mobo, is it some issue to do with lanes to the PCI-E slot?

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:23:32 am »
pfalcini

imo - yes try these 3 tests which Elemental_Dragon recommended

chupo

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:03:22 pm »
Reduce PCI-E clock for couple of MHz....

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:05 am »
Think I have sorted it.

I tested the X1950 with Furmark on the other machine and it would not run more than 90secs. The X800 ran for about half an hour (when I stopped it)  on the newbuild rig. With the X1950 fur doughnut displayed an artifact that made it look like it was on a stick. Sadly looks like I need a new card.

Thanks for all your help and Ii have learned a valuable lesson to use benchmark tools for diagnosing problems.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 02:28:18 pm »
Awesome stuff. Glad you've got you're problems sorted and learned something useful for the future! :D

~Bex