Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA69G-S3H cpu upgrade?

Euan

GA-MA69G-S3H cpu upgrade?
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:10:08 pm »
Hi everyone.
New to this forum and joined as I wanted to ask a question.
I have the GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard and a Athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor.
I would like to know what the best processor is I can put in this motherboard for gaming.
I know it's an old board but I'm not wanting to go mad with money at the moment and just want a better processor.
I am about to upgrade ram from 4gb to 16gb (ddr2) and cureentry have a Radeon 7770 ghost edition gpu.
So in order to run games a little better I need a better processor.
Any advice (apart from updating whole pc hahaha) would be appreciated
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:37:36 pm by Euan »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA69G-S3H cpu upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:37 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what AMD CPU's are actually still available for this motherboard. I guess a lot will depend on where you are looking to get one from and also, which part of the world you are in. Here in the UK, the only place you might get hold of a processor is through ebay and it will probably be used.

If you check the QVL here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-MA69G-S3H-rev-10#support-cpu it gives you the full list of supported processors (N/A in the last column means the CPU isn't supported so don't get one of those).

Hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Euan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:21:45 am »
According to that list  the phenom II x4 955 95watt 3.2 Ghz seems to be the best option.

Hopefully I see an improvement and like you said...the only ones I can find of them are second hand.

Probably more worth my while instead of upgrading ram and cpu would be to buy a new Motherboard bundle

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:36:03 pm »
If you can get a Phenom 955 there would be better performance from your system but, as you already know, you are dealing with some very old (in PC terms) hardware and investing in a more up-to-date system would really be the better option, if you can afford to do so.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.