Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) BIOS update fail after F21 (F22, F23a, F23c, F23d)

I'm tried updating to the latest BIOS version for my GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) which is F23c according to the following support page:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170N-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl

I first tried Q-Flash to flash F23c, but got a mismatch error. I then down stepped until I got a version that succeeded and that is version F21.

Now I'm running F21 and then tried to update to the latest again via Q-Flash, @Bios and via a USB bootstick with Refus.

Unfortunately, that also didn't work.

I really would like to run the F23d as I think that contains the microcode fix for Spectre/Meltdown.

What to do?

Regards,
Ramon

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
You putting all three files on the drive? Plus when you are in Q-Flash does it show that bios update on the drive? I have a GIGABYTE Z170-GAMING K3. Once I get the CPU for it today I'll try to update it to F23d. It has F22 on it now.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

wh173

I really would like to run the F23d as I think that contains the microcode fix for Spectre/Meltdown.

What to do?

Dont, wait a bit more and Intel will release another one. Also, meltdown is patched through the OS, not the bios, that alone solves meltdown. The bios microcode is for Spectre, to fix it partially.

“We recommend that OEMs, cloud service providers, system manufacturers, software vendors, and end users stop deployment of current versions on specific platforms,” Shenoy wrote, “as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior.”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/22/16919426/intel-advises-pause-deployment-of-spectre-patch

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:06:56 am by wh173 »
GA-Z170N-WIFI, 7700k, 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX1070.

Then still I want to update to a newer BIOS version. Why aren't all BIOS versions after F21 not able to be flashed via all mentioned methods?

It that because I have a v1.0 board?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
F21 and 22 are currently the best options for the Z170 boards. There is no reason to upgrade just so you can say you have the latest.  I do not recommend beta BIOS unless they specifically address compatibility issues, security flaws or add functionality you are missing and need.

Right now, microcode patching is on hold due to instability.  I've stated in other threads that it was going to take some time for the patches to become available and that they would be successive.  Be patient.  Do not jump on the fear monger bandwagon.  If your system is stable, you do not need the HT or ME vulnerability patches or the latest CPU microcode updates that might "break" a perfectly working system.  More updates are coming.  Patience will win the day. Why gamble.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
I do not recommend beta BIOS unless they specifically address compatibility issues, security flaws or add functionality you are missing and need.

Do not jump on the fear monger bandwagon.  If your system is stable, you do not need the HT or ME vulnerability patches or the latest CPU microcode updates that might "break" a perfectly working system.  More updates are coming.  Patience will win the day. Why gamble.

About bios updates they are there when you are having a problem. Plus this goes for any update too. Like shadowsports says "If it isn't broke don't fix it"

That is what is the problem here with this problem that it has been here for over 20 yrs. You had a few people that came across this problem. How you have panic mode all over the place. 

Plus I told him I was going to date my Z170 board but the CPU's I got were bad. Still waiting on some others.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

I do not recommend beta BIOS unless they specifically address compatibility issues, security flaws or add functionality you are missing and need.

Patience will win the day. Why gamble.

I understand your recommendation. This is not if I should upgrade or not. I'm not able at all to install a newer version. That is my issue, I cannot even flash F22 or any of the beta BIOS files.

If your system is stable, you do not need the HT or ME vulnerability patches or the latest CPU microcode updates that might "break" a perfectly working system.  More updates are coming.  Patience will win the day. Why gamble.

My system is almost running 24x7, is always connected to my internet connection. I visit various websites, run all kinds of software. So yes, my system is very vulnerable to any of the security vulnerabilities.

I want my system as secure as possible and want to upgrade to F23c. I don't really think there will even be a non beta BIOS released again for my motherboard as the hyperthreading issue was released more then half a year ago and no official BIOS since then.

Lets focus on why I can't even flash F22 or newer. Not if I don't require them or not.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
I see two options.  Reset the BIOS (CLR_CMOS) and Load set up defaults before attempting to flash using Q-Flash.  After Loading Set up defaults, press F10 to save and allow the system to restart, entering BIOS then tapping <End> during POST or F8 if you are in the BIOS.  The BIOS file you want to flash should be placed in the root of your USB stick formatted FAT32.

If the above fails, I would contact support.  If you have drives configured in RAID, make a full system image back up before resetting your BIOS, as the reset will kill the RAID set and require that you restore it once the BIOS is set up again.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW