Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Gaming 3 is repeatedly having the "soft brick" issue.

Gigabyte Gaming 3 is repeatedly having the "soft brick" issue.
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:09:16 am »
It's known for a while now that various Gigabyte AMD motherboards will "soft brick" under certain, not fully understood circumstances after a shut down, causing the motherboard to not power on and look as though it's completely dead with not even the error LEDs going on.

I first encountered this issue about a month after I installed the motherboard mentioned in the thread title, but was able to fix it by resetting the CMOS via removing the battery for about 30 minutes before replacing it.

I didn't have any further issues until about five months later, where the exact same issue occurred, but was fixed in the same manner as before.

However, it happened again only a little over a week later,  but this time I had to leave the battery out overnight before it decided to turn on again, as not even two hours of no battery did the trick this time, nor did using the CMOS jumper.

At this point, I decided to try to root out the cause for the issue, and discovered that the soft brick was linked to the use of certain hardware monitoring programs like HWinfo, which I incidentally had been using.

I removed the program entirely, hoping it would resolve the issue, but it happened again about a week later. I had, however, been using the GPUId program to monitor my GPU after it started having some strange issues, so perhaps it just doesn't like monitoring software in general.

Currently waiting with the battery removed to see if I can get it to start again, but seriously contemplating just RMAing the board and installing a different brand if it refuses to turn on or if I can't resolve the soft bricks permanently.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Gigabyte Gaming 3 is repeatedly having the "soft brick" issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 02:56:03 pm »
Greetings,
The "soft" or "full" brick behavior being experienced by Ryzen users (most commonly) on the AB350 does not have anything to do with installed software. We don't have any confirmation of the root cause as most if not all users who have experienced the issue are not able to recover using CLR_CMOS or a battery pull.  Users have also tried stripping their  boards of all extraneous hardware, reseating peripherals, memory, CPU and attempting boot with one stick of RAM.  There is no POST, period.

Based on the reports I have read, many have not even got their OS installed, or if they have, were not using any Hardware Monitoring Apps we heard about.  If you have experienced this behavior and recovered, you are lucky as pulling the battery and waiting days hasn't done anything for the majority of people out there who experienced this problem. 

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW