Official GIGABYTE Forum

Microphone Input problem - No sound from it - GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Jahz

Greetings everyone ! I noticed a problem recently on my board and I'm desperately looking for help !

I've built my PC end of summer 2016 and everything went - quite - fine until now (we shall not consider the USB booting hassle for the Windows 7 installation, specific to this board).

The first use of my computer is to make music actually, meaning I've always used external sound cards; and I never had to employ the motherboard hardware for the sound.

I recently got rid of a large diaphragm microphone used to communicate (condenser mic) and I decided to switch to something more usable, economic.

I bought a microphone with the 3.5 mm jack proper to motherboard inputs, but I can't get any sound from it.
I first thought the problem came from the mic, but it works just perfectly on three other devices, which as one is a Windows 7 computer, like mine.

I tried to put it on a mic preamp on my board but even with gain heated to the maximum (insanity) I could get just an overwhelming silence. I even tried a +48V on it; still silence. I feared to scorch up its circuits but it still works perfectly... on the other computers...

There, I've checked the other ports of the sound card : everything is fine, except for the microphone input.
As a note, I've never used it before.

My computer never showed a sign of alimentation dysfunction, though. I don't know where to search, I've opened it again, looking for some anomaly visible but I couldn't see anything.
I could have a new lead, drivers.

I recently realized that except for the graphic card, I haven't be that serious about updating my drivers.
May you see any link with my actual problem ? What could make it dysfunctional ?
I updated with the last driver from realtek but absolutely nothing changed.
My BIOS version is F4, never updated in fact (actual last is F22e)

Here is a sum up of my config if this could help :
GTX1070
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
i7 6700k
Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX

I think I circled enough around my problem, I will be grateful for any help !

Thank you

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Microphone Input problem - No sound from it - GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:14 pm »
Greetings,
Control Panel > Sounds...  What happens to the Microphone input when you plug in the mic to the "pink" port.
This should change,  Look at port sense in your Audio Control Panel as well.  Microphone configuration starts on page 110 of your manual.  Have a look there too.

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Jahz

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
Hello shadowsports. Thank you for the response !

I forgot to mention what happens software-wise.

When I plug my microphone (Front panel or motherboard directly) the black Realtek window appears; I can choose "microphone on the opening dialog box.

In my Windows recording devices panel, the Realtek microphone appear; but no sound is heard when I listen to the device, thus no signal appears in the bargraph.

This is very curious, because, I may insist, the microphone is OK.

edit : I tried to unplug the connector from my front panel in case of an alimentation problem, but it did not change anything.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:59:24 pm by Jahz »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:28:25 pm »
Greetings,
So we know port sense is working based on the prompt you receive when the mic is connected to the pink port. 

Return to the Sound Properties dialog in Control Panel.  When connected, does the object have a green checkmark or red "disabled" down arrow?  (Reference above pic)  If red down arrow, right-click on it and set as Default device from the context menu.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Jahz

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
Hello shadowsports,
I've put the mic as a default device already.

I've tried with my sound card disconnected (usb), no change. I've tried with all unused Audio i/o devices disabled, same problem; the god damn bargraph won't show any green.

I noticed something. When I switch from Playback to Recording tab, it seems there's a kind of burst of signal for time to time.
It happens when I turn on the microphone device on the panel too.

Jahz

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:42 am »
Hey everyone... I come to finally put an answer to it, years later, because my problem is solved, so I got to clear it on the forum too, for the information sake.

Ok, so the microphone input is working much respectably. It has always been.

This has been an answer for me :

I was testing Apple earpods actually, that has special 3.5 Jack connector operating volume, play and pause circuits too, quite different from 3.5 pink jacks for microphone only or "normalized" portable devices jacks (e.g. for android devices)

The earpods microphone couldn't simply work with any mobo except if there is an existing splitter, but I never found of this kind.

Works perfectly with microphone only connectors, and android device microphone passing through the splitter.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:32:51 pm »

recently got rid of a large diaphragm microphone used to communicate (condenser mic) and I decided to switch to something more usable, economic.

By any chance did you try the old too?

Plus just asking did you try it in the back panel Mic port?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.