Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS settings?

FluX

• Don't blame me... it worked fine b4 you touched it
BIOS settings?
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:18:16 pm »
OK I've been messing about with BIOS settings and try to find out what each one does and if it's still used.

Can anyone tell me what are the correct settings for
System BIOS cached
Video BIOS cached

From what I've found through google, system BIOS does not need to be cached anymore with O/S such as XP and above, as they can write directly to hardware, therefore the caching is wasting valuable space (albeit not very much) and time.

If that's true, why are the default / setup / performance settings set to enable it? and why is it even still in the BIOS?
Or am I being misled by a bunch of overclockers who are suddenly experts because they learnt something from some other overclockers who became experts by learning something etc etc...
Because everyone who has a pc seems to be an expert when you search for answers in different forums... regardless of qualifications... I'm not having a go at anyone... I just want the correct answer :o

Well hopefully, this is the right place to ask ???
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:57:44 pm by FluX »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: BIOS settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:54:15 am »
Hi

as far as i remember from the old times all such options should be enabled.
in which MB model and bios version you see these options?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:55:53 am by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:54:06 pm »
Hi, flux
Try this link ver 10.6
http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18
Cheers
pete

FluX

• Don't blame me... it worked fine b4 you touched it
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:49 am »
@ runn3R :

Its options available on almost every mobo I laid hands on, which use the AWARD  / Phoenix BIOS.
It's embarrassing really, as I build approx 20 - 50 PC's/month (industrial pc's, not desktop), and I don't know what every BIOS setting should be??

@ Pottypete :

Cheers Pete :)

Video Bios Caching:    " it is recommended that you disable Video BIOS Caching, even if you play a lot of real-mode DOS games or work with operating systems running in fail-safe mode."

System Bios Caching :" it is highly recommended that you disable this feature for better system performance."

Solution found

End of thread I guess :)

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:08 am »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ Hi Flux,
Glad you got it sorted, I put the link on my usb key, and printed it out ;)
Memory fails me all the time,
Cheers
Pete