Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X UD3H boot question

ferk

Z87X UD3H boot question
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »
Hello, a week ago I sold my old i5 2500K and bought this motherboard with a 4770K to a friend that just upgraded to a 8700K.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, however I have a question about something that happens during boot. Sometimes (not every time), I turn on the PC, I hear the beep but it turns itself off. Right after it turns itself on again and it goes smoothly to Windows without issue. And I didn't experience any issue while using it.

I guess it's not that much of an problem, but I want to know if it's something I have misconfigured or something. When I first got the motherboard, it still had his old bios config, and it gave me like a song of beeps, I took off the battery and that fixed it, so the bios should be configured as it comes by default, I only activated the RAM XMP profile that, curiously, somehow triggers a higher CPU frequency because, I think, the XMP activates 3.9ghz for all cores instead the default ones of 3.7ghz for all cores. I tried configuring the ram manually and deactivating the XMP to see if that was the problem but it doesn't seem so.

I tried looking for answers to my problem but honestly though searching for the motherboard's name and boot in the same phrase returns a whole sea of problems that don't have anything related to my issue.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Z87X UD3H boot question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:36:35 am »
BIOS beep codes usually indicate an error condition.  It doesn't mean something is faulty or broken, but maybe something isn't properly configured.

What BIOS rev is the board running?
What memory are you using?
Is it on the QVL for the board?  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z87x-ud3h.pdf

Specs for your CPU https://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

ferk

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:16:43 am »
BIOS beep codes usually indicate an error condition.  It doesn't mean something is faulty or broken, but maybe something isn't properly configured.

What BIOS rev is the board running?
What memory are you using?
Is it on the QVL for the board?  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z87x-ud3h.pdf

Specs for your CPU https://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

BIOS version is F7. Memory is 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9, the reference would be F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL and it's in the QVL.

I tried looking at the code in the motherboards screen before it shuts down and the last one is D6, that according to the manual is: No Console Output Devices are found.

Not sure what that means though.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:18:22 am by ferk »

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 06:03:24 pm »
Greetings,
Let's just get it all out there.  System specs?

GPU brand/model or Onboard graphics?
PSU (Brand / Model)?
Display?
How is the display connected?  Any adapters between the port/card and the display?

Do you have any other peripherals connected to the board (excluding mouse and keyboard)?

PCIe cards?

While the specific 4GB modules you are using are not on the QVL, there is no reason to believe their 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.5v would present any issues with the board or CPU.

What slots are the modules installed in? Slots 1 and 2 are optimal for 2 channel.
Must be DDR3_1~2 or DDR_3_3~4

F7 BIOS is good - shipping BIOS

A D6 error is often GPU related, but still don't have a complete picture of your rig and it might just be coincidental.  It might be related to power too.  Does the (beep restart behavior) only happen on a cold boot, or warm boot as well?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:12:11 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

ferk

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:22:19 pm »
Greetings,
Let's just get it all out there.  System specs?

GPU brand/model or Onboard graphics?
PSU (Brand / Model)?
Display?
How is the display connected?  Any adapters between the port/card and the display?

Do you have any other peripherals connected to the board (excluding mouse and keyboard)?

PCIe cards?

While the specific 4GB modules you are using are not on the QVL, there is no reason to believe their 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.5v would present any issues with the board or CPU.

What slots are the modules installed in? Slots 1 and 2 are optimal for 2 channel.
Must be DDR3_1~2 or DDR_3_3~4

F7 BIOS is good - shipping BIOS

A D6 error is often GPU related, but still don't have a complete picture of your rig and it might just be coincidental.  It might be related to power too.  Does the (beep restart behavior) only happen on a cold boot, or warm too as well?

Hello, thanks for the answer. System specs are as follow:

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
PSU: XFX Pro 750W Black Edition
Display: I have two, Dell UltraSharp U2312HM connected with DisplayPort and a LG M2380D with HDMI. No adapters.

I only have a TV DVB receiver connected apart from the usual peripherals. Asus Xonar DG in the PCI slot.

The memories are installed in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 according to the manual, but now I'm not too sure since CPUZ says I'm using slots #2 and #4.

I don't have the issue if I reboot. Sometimes doesn't happen, and when it does, the second boot is always working, it's the first one that fails. It's a standard beep, the same one as if it was booting normally. Now I'm going to try to shut the pc down and straight up power it on so to see if the issue is there. Then I'm going to do the same but letting the pc off for about ten minutes. I'll edit this when I'm done.

EDIT: Tried turning it off and on and there was the issue. Tried booting with the integrated gpu, same issue.
EDIT2: I have now booted several times in a row without issue with the DVB receiver unplugged. I find it weird that this can be the cause but I don't have time now to keep testing it so will see tomorrow what happens. Btw, am I the only one having issues with the capcha code? I can't recognise some letters sometimes and I have to be requesting new images and trying my luck after every edit  :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:32:15 pm by ferk »

ferk

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:25:42 pm »
It's still hapenning, I think I'm going to take out the GPU and try it again.

ferk

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:11:15 am »
Update about my issue:

I forgot about it for a couple of months after not being able to solve it. A few days ago I decided to give it a try again. Turns out I originally read the wrong error code; it wasn't D6 (GPU issue), but db (Flash Update is Failed). I confused the 'b' with a '6'.

I don't know what triggered the db issue (I've never tried to flash the bios before) but the solution was simple. I followed the flashing method of a Gigabyte rep in another website to only flash one of the BIOS while leaving the other one intact in case I f***ed up, then flashed the main BIOS with the F8 update (there's more available but not sure this flashing method works so I wanted to keep it safe first) and the issue is gone now. Everything works perfectly.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 03:28:01 pm »
Nice of you to follow up.  Maybe the previous owner tried to flash unsuccessfully, or used the flashback feature of the second chip to revert BIOS chip 1?  Just a guess.  Glad you solved it. 

ferk

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:01 pm »
I don't know. I know him since like 10+ years and he never struct to me as someone who would do that and not tell me about it. In fact, before he switched to his current build, he had his 1600 mhz memories working at 1333 mhz because he never went to the bios to check.

I also don't remember any reboot when I was checking that the fans were working while setting it up into my case. After that there was the 'song' of beeps after I put my own GPU and had to take out the battery. I don't think that can corrupt a bios (two, in this case, because both the main and the backup had the issue) but it's my only 'theory' so far. It was also weird that only happened like 50% of the times. I mean if there was a flashing issue, shouldn't it be like permanent and not just sometimes? I don't know...

Fortunately its now fixed, running F8 version although I'm considering updating again the BIOS. According to this https://vgy.me/JwgOKH.png the next one improves overclocking, I'm only doing a light oc with a little bit of undervolt to control the temperature, but maybe for the future it can be interesting. But there is a 'note' that says that it should be updated from windows and it's not how I flashed the previous one.

I believe doing that flashes both bios chips, I only flashed one with Qflash following this procedure:

Booting with the backup bios in single bios mode, then on the bios screen switch the hardware 'switch' of the motherboard to the main bios and then Qflash. I'm not sure this can be done within windows.