Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z370 AORUS Gaming 3 performing poorly.

Bov

Z370 AORUS Gaming 3 performing poorly.
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:43:44 am »
Been using this Z370 AORUS Gaming 3 motherboard for a few months now,Out the box when i game i'm getting micro stuttering and just overall poor performance when gaming. I have it paired with a 8700k with a noctua d15 cooler, 16gb 3000mhz DDR4 corsair ram with a EVGA 1080. I updated from the F1 bios it came with too the F7 the latest thinking it may help but it doesn't seem to of cured the problem.

Things i've done,
Made sure power mode is in high performance in windows, GPU in high performance.
XMP profile is enabled in bios, One thing that is weird is my motherboard recognizes the CPU in the info tab but not when i select which CPU i have, it has all the coffeelake cpu's just not the 8700k so i have just left it on Auto. I have ran the pc in default bios settings with XMP/without XMP and it's the same.
Re seated all my parts multiple times. All my temps are cool on CPU 45c in game, Mobo around 35-45 in game, GPU sits around the 65-75c mark when in game.
My friend using the same hardware exactly and bios version isn't experiencing any issues at all. I've even tested my ram,cpu and GPU now in his rig and they work fine no issues at all, I'm powering it with a corsair 750w gold rated power supply. PC is using all SSD's gaming/OS.

I'm at a loss why it performs so badly in games, I'm leaning towards a fault with the motherboard itself as everything else i have tested in my friends rig, only thing i haven't tested is dropping the motherboard out and testing it in his computer only because he lives so far away going on the train with the motherboard.

My question is has anyone had any issues with such a set up using this motherboard?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:44:46 am by Bov »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Z370 AORUS Gaming 3 performing poorly.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
Greetings,
You do not normally select the CPU in BIOS, it detects for you automatically.  Before assuming your board is faulty, you need to meticulously check/compare the version of drivers you and he are using against one another.  Since you said you have identical HW, the video driver version is a good place to start.   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Bov

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 02:58:57 pm »
Greetings,
You do not normally select the CPU in BIOS, it detects for you automatically.  Before assuming your board is faulty, you need to meticulously check/compare the version of drivers you and he are using against one another.  Since you said you have identical HW, the video driver version is a good place to start.   

I should of wrote that but basically have matched our systems up like for like, drivers/bios etc. I think it is the motherboard and the other forums i asked on have both kinda pointed to the same thing. Thanks for your time, Gonna try RMA it.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 02:06:50 pm »
Hi,
Probably a wise choice.  They few options you have left would include actual hardware testing, and you've already done this with most of the parts.  Please post a follow up when you get the replacement. 

Thanks
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Bov

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:31 am »
I took longer than i should of to return it just thought i'd mess with it for a little longer due to frustration i had got for the past few months.
Long story short the store who deals with the RMA basically said it was tested and was working perfectly fine with a list of a few things they told me to do once i received the item back, even though everything stated i already tested myself.  I told them it was fine in windows but soon as i game it became apparent something wasn't right with performance. I don't even think it was tested for gaming so anyway it was returned to me 10 days later with a note saying in perfect working order.
I wasn't satisfied, I didn't call back or do anything i just ordered a brand new motherboard from another brand. Put it in my PC, formatted my drive then went in bios made sure everything looked good. Once in windows installed the games i was playing and low and behold not a stutter or frame issue in sight.
Has it put me off Gigabyte? , Not really i have used their gpu's over the years no issues. Just seems i got a bad board yet poor after service but this doesn't relate to Gigabyte directly just more lazy customer service from the people who conducted the RMA.
I just will stay clear of that store from now on.

Thanks to those that responded much appreciated