Official GIGABYTE Forum

z87x-ud3h not booting

ferk

z87x-ud3h not booting
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
Hello, a week ago I tried to re-apply the thermal paste to see if the temps improved. I didn't took out the CPU of the socket, I cleaned it there carefully and then cleaned the cooler and put it back in. But the pc never turned on again. There's no speaker sound and no error code displayed, video here.

I did many things, cleared CMOS, taking out the battery, checking everything was connected correctly, tried both bios, but nothing changed. I ended up taking the CPU out but I accidentally bent a few pins, I tried to fix them the best as I could, they weren't perfect but I tried that they at least weren't touching each other. I don't know if it would have worked because, well, nothing changed with the motherboard anyway, same issue as before, so I can't be sure.

I ordered a cheap motherboard to test the CPU was ok and it wasn't the issue, and it did work fine in the new motherboard, however I lose half my things, H81 chipset is pretty bad.

What could have happened to the board? I suspect it might have been static, but that's pretty unlikely. Is there something I can try? I already contacted Gigabyte in their support page but no answer yet. I looked at the used parts market but the prices are crazy, it might be better to sell the cpu and ram and upgrade.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: z87x-ud3h not booting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:12 pm »
Greetings,
Cleaning thermal paste from the top of the CPU should not cause boot failure.  Of course if any cleaning fluid got underneath the CPU this could cause a problem.  Static electricity as well, but you really have to shuffle your feet on the carpet and touch the board for something like that to occur. 

Are you sure you reconnected the CPU Fan to the correct Fan header?

If you've never cleaned a CPU before, I usually recommend removing it and placing on a piece of foam.  This ensures nothing gets on the board and also protects the chip.  Q-Tips with alcohol work best.  I also wear latex gloves as I never touch components with bare hands.  You don't have to do this, but I don't like any fingerprints.     

I typically use a credit card and toothpick for helping others with bent pins.  Its one of the more reliable methods.

I watched your boot loop video.  The system is failing to initialize.  Since we aren't there to see the board, its difficult to advise and can only speculate what might have happened.  I'd start by removing components leaving one stick of ram.  Also remove the vid card and test with onboard video.  Recheck your connections.  You've already done the pre-requisites, reset the CMOS, etc.     

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

ferk

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:58:47 pm »
Greetings,
Cleaning thermal paste from the top of the CPU should not cause boot failure.  Of course if any cleaning fluid got underneath the CPU this could cause a problem.  Static electricity as well, but you really have to shuffle your feet on the carpet and touch the board for something like that to occur. 

Are you sure you reconnected the CPU Fan to the correct Fan header?

If you've never cleaned a CPU before, I usually recommend removing it and placing on a piece of foam.  This ensures nothing gets on the board and also protects the chip.  Q-Tips with alcohol work best.  I also wear latex gloves as I never touch components with bare hands.  You don't have to do this, but I don't like any fingerprints.     

I typically use a credit card and toothpick for helping others with bent pins.  Its one of the more reliable methods.

I watched your boot loop video.  The system is failing to initialize.  Since we aren't there to see the board, its difficult to advise and can only speculate what might have happened.  I'd start by removing components leaving one stick of ram.  Also remove the vid card and test with onboard video.  Recheck your connections.  You've already done the pre-requisites, reset the CMOS, etc.     

Hi, first of all thanks for the answer. This is not the first time I do this, but it was the first time I did with my current setup. In the past I had no issue with the 2500k and a CM as cooler but this time I was using a different cooler I had no experience with and that gave me troubles to install it back in, there was a little bit of movement. The cpu hovewer shouldn't have moved from the socket though, the retainer was on.

I tried both cpu fan connectors, the usual one and another called 'cpu_opt' or something, no luck with that. Gigabyte reached out to me in the support ticket but there's not much they can do, they told me to rma it with the store but the warranty is long gone now. THey also gave me instruction to test the system but I have already done that (cpu, 1 ram, 1 hdd, clear cmos, battery removal, etc...). I tried mostly everything.

One thing I noticed this morning was that the board was trying to boot itself from both bios, after three failed tries it switched bios but I don't know if that's relevant, I don't think two bios could have been damaged at once.

A toothpick is what I used to try to fix the pins, but it's a little bit messy, too much force and you can easily break a good pin, plus I really had a bad time using my augmentation light because I needed to put the board closer with one hand and then I barely had any space between for the other hand. I guess you used the credit card to stabilize the process or something? Might give it a try.

This is an album I made yesterday for the support ticket of Gigabyte. As you can see from the overview there seems to be something in the top side (from the photo's angle) of the socket. The second picture is a close-up from that part, pins seems to be mostly ok but there's something brown/grey under them, dirt? Also you can see pins 1st and 4th from the bottom row are a little bit twisted, those two were looking backwards and I tried to fix them as best as I could, I don't know how can I put them straight.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:59:48 pm by ferk »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:05:20 am »
Saw your images.  Looks like its time for a new board.  Sorry.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

ferk

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:11:12 am »
Saw your images.  Looks like its time for a new board.  Sorry.

Yeah I was afraid nothing could be done to fix it. I put the 4770k on the used part market to see how much can I get for it. Z87/Z97 boards price range's from 80-130 euro, if I can get about 200 euro for my current cpu and 16gb of ram might as well spend a little bit more and go for a Ryzen build.

Thanks for your help anyway.