Official GIGABYTE Forum

Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 loses its configuration

Cleoz

Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 loses its configuration
« on: November 29, 2018, 04:22:03 pm »
Hi all!
Recently there has been a problem with my MB. Each time I disconnect the power cord, the MB resets its configuration. I thought it could be the CMOS battery, but I checked it with a voltmeter and it is in perfect condition.

In the same way, I bought a new battery and the problem persists. In addition to that, the time and date are always maintained.
When the computer is turned on, it starts to restart until its configuration is restored, in the same way as when the CMOS jumper is occupied.

My configuration is:
Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 (BIOS version F11)
Intel i5 8600k (not OC)
2x8 GB AORUS RGB memory (stock profile)
PSU AeroCool P7 750W 80+ Platinum
Water cooling AeroCool P7 L240
Aorus 1080TI

Regards!

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 loses its configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53:33 pm »
What message(s) does the screen display at start up and/or during POST. 

Errors?  Restoring the configuration, etc?

Have you flashed or updated the BIOS?
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Cleoz

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:34:51 pm »
When it turned on, it does not display an image on the screen. Only the Aorus logo appears at the end of the restoration process and then the message that the configuration was restored. Thinking about a possible solution, I tried to restore the configuration by restarting the CMOS and updating it to the latest available version (F11) using QFlash, but it did not work. I recorded all the codes that appear on the MB when plugging in the device and turning it on. As can be seen, after all this process, it manages to turn on correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af7kZcdfxNU

If in doubt, I pressed the power button at the beginning. The MB reboots itself

Regards!

What message(s) does the screen display at start up and/or during POST. 

Errors?  Restoring the configuration, etc?

Have you flashed or updated the BIOS?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:38:10 pm by Cleoz »

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
Help me out...  without being able to see the screen or sound, etc.

So you plug it in, press power and the system cycles 5-6 times with the debug LED spinning through a bunch of codes, and then on a subsequent restart it runs and enters "A0"?

When it finally does start and run, everything is normal?

If yes, its a BIOS issue

If no, there is a faulty component or piece of hardware, something not installed properly, etc.

From the video, it looks like the first option "yes' above?

Coupled with you telling us that the system displays a "Configuration is restored" message before entering "A0" and running normally. 

This is a BIOS related failure.  Corrupt or incomplete flash.  Can be caused if the Main BIOS and Back Up BIOS revisions do not match.

The first thing to try:
You said you have already tried to reflash the BIOS using QFlash but it fails?  What is the error?

What BIOS rev does the system report when you enter BIOS?  This is the rev that you will want to try and flash with.  Probably not the latest (F11).  Its important they match.  The BIOS chips will normally synchronize automatically, but in the case of a corrupt or incomplete flash, the behavior you are seeing might result.   

Option 2:
The boards and BIOS' keep changing however, you might be able to force BIOS Synchronization between the two chips using ALT+F10 or ALT+F12 at Boot time.  Because of the current state of the system, testing these options might take time.  There is also a timing issue involved.  Meaning there is only a small window of opportunity to be pressing the keys and in your case, the system is already in a unstable state.

I would try option 1 first, as it has the highest probability of success.   Option 2 - You are in dangerous territory.  You only have one working BIOS.  In some regard, you have nothing to lose by trying.  its not going to fix itself, but if it doesn't work, you are looking at an RMA either way.

Also, for clarity, based on your video.  Your BIOS is not "losing its configuration".  The system is failing to start from the main BIOS.  After several failed attempts to start, the system invokes boot from the back up BIOS.  The system attempts to automatically synchronize the back up BIOS to the main BIOS chip.  This is failing and is the reason why the machine exhibits the same behavior each time it starts...  recovering itself over and over.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:52:39 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

Cleoz

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:40:31 pm »
Help me out...  without being able to see the screen or sound, etc.

So you plug it in, press power and the system cycles 5-6 times with the debug LED spinning through a bunch of codes, and then on a subsequent restart it runs and enters "A0"?

When it finally does start and run, everything is normal?

If yes, its a BIOS issue

If no, there is a faulty component or piece of hardware, something not installed properly, etc.

From the video, it looks like the first option "yes' above?

Coupled with you telling us that the system displays a "Configuration is restored" message before entering "A0" and running normally. 

This is a BIOS related failure.  Corrupt or incomplete flash.  Can be caused if the Main BIOS and Back Up BIOS revisions do not match.

The first thing to try:
You said you have already tried to reflash the BIOS using QFlash but it fails?  What is the error?

What BIOS rev does the system report when you enter BIOS?  This is the rev that you will want to try and flash with.  Probably not the latest (F11).  Its important they match.  The BIOS chips will normally synchronize automatically, but in the case of a corrupt or incomplete flash, the behavior you are seeing might result.   

Option 2:
The boards and BIOS' keep changing however, you might be able to force BIOS Synchronization between the two chips using ALT+F10 or ALT+F12 at Boot time.  Because of the current state of the system, testing these options might take time.  There is also a timing issue involved.  Meaning there is only a small window of opportunity to be pressing the keys and in your case, the system is already in a unstable state.

I would try option 1 first, as it has the highest probability of success.   Option 2 - You are in dangerous territory.  You only have one working BIOS.  In some regard, you have nothing to lose by trying.  its not going to fix itself, but if it doesn't work, you are looking at an RMA either way.

Also, for clarity, based on your video.  Your BIOS is not "losing its configuration".  The system is failing to start from the main BIOS.  After several failed attempts to start, the system invokes boot from the back up BIOS.  The system attempts to automatically synchronize the back up BIOS to the main BIOS chip.  This is failing and is the reason why the machine exhibits the same behavior each time it starts...  recovering itself over and over.

You were right! The main bios was broken. None of the methods you mentioned to me worked. What I had to do to solve the problem was replace the BIOS chip on the MB.
On Ebay I bought the pre-programmed chip, installed it and the problem was solved :). Thank you very much for your help.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 07:01:13 pm »
Appreciate the feedback.  Glad you got it sorted.