Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti gaming OC card question regarding fan

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti gaming OC card question regarding fan
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:14:46 pm »
Hi
I would like to know if any one here has any experiences with Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti cards and how the fan behaves without any fan controlling software like Aorus or Afterburner. I have read some forums and seems that the issue I’m having seems to be a common thing and not especially gigabyte rtx related. Namely the fan profile when the card is at idle speeds. The fans shut down when the card is idle and all of them speed up when the card gpu temperature reaches 51C. The fans accelerate to about 30% of speed and when the card cools down to 47c the fans stop. And then this behaviour continues when the card is idle. So, it gets quite annoying when the fans are constantly revving their speed up and down.  In gaming or full load everything works as it should. The same thing applies when you use Aorus software passive fan profile.  With active profile the problem is fixed because the fans are constantly working and not stopping. I even made GPU -z log file where it shows how the fans constantly rev their speed up and down and its clear that the card tries to keeps its idle temperature below 50c. I attached the gpu’z log file to my post if anyone is interested.
So, the question is are all reference designed cards acting like this? I have read that the stock nVidia reference card doesn’t support stopping the fans so maybe it’s the nVidia bios that gets confused when the fans are stopping and it tries to keep its self from getting to hot?

Any constructive information regarding this subject would be appreciated.