Official GIGABYTE Forum

RMA Issues - Not Repaired!

BoNfiRe

RMA Issues - Not Repaired!
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:34:13 pm »
I recently sent my motherboard off for RMA repair, and it was repaired, sort of. I can now boot into the OS, so I guess it works, but when I sent it off, I declared two issues (both BIOS were corrupt). It was sent back with BIOS 2 fixed, but BIOS 1 is still in the same state (just won't boot from it). What can I do to get this resolved? I don't want to send it off again, as I lose a lot of work not having a working PC. Can I flash BIOS 1 while I'm in BIOS 2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-B

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: RMA Issues - Not Repaired!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:07:12 pm »
What motherboard are you using?

Model number and board revision please.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

BoNfiRe

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:59:12 am »
AX370 Gaming 5 Rev 1.0

Just somewhat bemused as to why it wasn't fixed? Just sticking a plaster on it and saying "that'll do" is something I wouldn't expect from Gigabyte. Over the years I have spent thousands on motherboards and GPU's and never had to RMA anything from them. So they make some pretty good stuff!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:35:46 pm »
Yes, seems pretty strange to me.

Anyway, you should be able to copy the BIOS from chip 2 back into chip 1.
Before you start you will need to load optimized defaults in BIOS.
D NOT enable Fast Boot or anything in the BIOS once you have reset it.
Shut down the PC totally
If possible use a wired keyboard for this next step as I have found wireless ones can be a bit hit and miss.
Make sure that the Motherboard is set to only BOOT from the good chip (BIOS 2) If you're not sure how to set this, check out the motherboard manual.
Start the PC and press both the ALT & F10 simultaneously (as you would hit the Del key to go into BIOS) You may need to keep pressing the two keys several times before BIOS recognizes the key strokes.
Once BIOS has logged the fact that you have done this, you should get a screen up stating something like: "Do you wish to copy BIOS from chip 2 to Chip 1?" (I can't remember the exact wording here but it is hopefully close enough for you to get the idea.) Hit yes and then the process is automatic.
Once the BIOS has been copied over, shutdown the PC. Reset the BIOS switches so that you are now going to BOOT from chip 1, restart the PC and go into BIOS. Load Optimized  defaults, reboot, go back into your BIOS and re-apply your settings.
Hopefully, everything will now be back to normal and you will have both BIOS chips up and running.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

BoNfiRe

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:49 pm »
Tried multiple times on multiple keyboards but no luck.