Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD3H. Cant disable fast boot. Now lost main bios.

fisyyma

Re: GA-Z87X-UD3H. Cant disable fast boot. Now lost main bios.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 11:09:38 pm »
Just an update on this. Sorry it's taken so long but using PC every day so not had a chance to try and sort it until today.

Reminder of the problem: Couldn't disable fast boot so flashed main bios, which left me with a PC that would only boot on the backup bios. Trying to boot on main bios would just give me a flashing cursor on a black screen.

Today, after preparing a bootable usb stick containing the Efiflash utility and Z87XUD£H.F9 Bios file, I started the PC on backup bios then pushed the bios selection switch over to main bios. Booted to the usb and flashed the main Bios.I now have a working main Bios again. But still cant get the PC to show the Gigabyte post splash screen, allowing me to press 'del' to enter the bios. Again tried using the clear Bios button and removed the battery for several minutes. Gigabyte app centre is still telling me that fast boot is disabled, but still boots fast without the option to enter the Bios.

I'm now wondering if fast boot is actually disabled and its the splash screen that's been switched off in the Bios. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that disable splash screen was a separate option in the bios. Can't be sure as I'ts been years since I played around with the Bios options.

Anyway, whatever is selected in the bios, I would have thought that re-flashing the bios would have set it back to default settings?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:18:53 pm by fisyyma »

fisyyma

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 12:25:32 am »
Can hardly believe that it's now sorted. And so easily. After searching for post screen problems, I came across a forum where a few people mention having the same problem of not being able to enter the Bios. The solution someone offered was that this could be a problem if connecting to a monitor using the display port. They suggested using a DVI or VGA connection instead. It worked. Got into the Bios on the first try. So fast boot was not enabled as I first thought.

Although using display port somehow prevents the post splash screen showing, you would think that constantly pressing the 'del' key during boot would still work, but obviously not because I tried it dozens of times without any luck. Worked first time using a vga cable.

I think this should be documented on the Gigabyte website. Would have saved me hours of frustration and tearing my hair out trying to solve the problem.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:33:45 am by fisyyma »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 04:20:46 pm »
Hi shadowsports. Thanks for your continued interest in my bios problem. No update yet. Taken a bit longer to get my work completed.
Got a replacement motherboard in my Amazon basket just in case things don't work out and I need to replace the motherboard. Will post the outcome on here whichever way it goes.

Received your PM.  Thanks for following up.  Long road to the solution!
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

fisyyma

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:40 pm »
Hi shadowsports. Thanks for your continued interest in my bios problem. No update yet. Taken a bit longer to get my work completed.
Got a replacement motherboard in my Amazon basket just in case things don't work out and I need to replace the motherboard. Will post the outcome on here whichever way it goes.

When I contacted Gigabyte, they reckoned it was a faulty bios, possibly the chip itself, that was preventing access to the post screen options. I can't for one minute believe that Gigabyte don't know about this, so it should be documented. Still baffled as to why using the display port would cause the problem. Some people have also had the same problem when using HDMI for the display.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »

When I contacted Gigabyte, they reckoned it was a faulty bios, possibly the chip itself, that was preventing access to the post screen options. I can't for one minute believe that Gigabyte don't know about this, so it should be documented. Still baffled as to why using the display port would cause the problem. Some people have also had the same problem when using HDMI for the display.

That's correct.  Those interfaces do not also scale properly (aspect ratio or resolution) which has been found to keep the BIOS from displaying properly during POST. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW