Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD3H. Cant disable fast boot. Now lost main bios.

fisyyma

Gigabyte motherboard GA-Z87X-UD3H rev1 Bios ver3.

Bought a few years ago. Enabled fast boot in the bios at the time, but now I need to disable it. With fast boot enabled I couldn’t use the DEL key at startup.

Things I’ve tried so far:
Shorting the cmos reset pins, pressed the cmos reset button, left the cmos battery out all night, tried various combinations of the BIOS-SW and SB switches, Downloaded and run fastboot.exe. Fastboot shows normal boot is enabled. If I change it to fast boot and back to normal again. Fastboot shows the changes have been made each time when rebooted, but the PC still boots straight into windows without showing the GigaByte logo and DEL, F2, F12 still don’t work so I can’t use those options. Disconnected all drives thinking that may force it to display the bios settings, but it just says ‘Reboot and select proper boot device.

Final possible solution was to flash the bios with the latest ver10b update using the @BIOS utility. All seemed to complete OK. After reboot I am just left with a flashing cursor in the top left corner of the screen, with 'A9' displayed on the led display. Have managed to boot the PC up again by using the BIOS-SW switch on the motherboard to select the backup bios.

So here I am with what I thought was the most reliable motherboard (Ultra durable, dual bios) and I can’t get into the bios or use the Function keys to select boot device, etc. and now it looks as if the main bios is no longer viable even though I used the correct file and followed the correct procedure.

This motherboard would have done me for a few more years to come so I want a solution to what is, in my opinion, a bios software problem.

Now afraid to do anything in case I lose the backup bios. Was thinking maybe I could start the PC using the backup bios then flick the bios switch to MAIN BIOS and then flash with an earlier bios file. But would that flash the bios the machine was booted with, or the one currently selected by the switch.

Instrumentation/electronics engineer whose been building and maintaining pc’s since the early DOS days so not someone who doesn’t know his way around a PC.  But this has me beat. This has to be some glitch in the original bios, which once fast boot is selected it can’t be undone, or even when it shows it as undone, it makes no difference.
HELP!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:47:39 pm by fisyyma »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: GA-Z87X-UD3H. Cant disable fast boot. Now lost main bios.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 04:46:55 pm »
Greetings,
I saw your post yesterday and wanted to think about it a little before replying.  My very first recommendation.  If this system contains any important data, back it up now. 

What OS are you running?

Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard?  Your best chance of getting into the BIOS on a system with Fast Boot enabled is with a wired keyboard.  This one thing alone might put you back in control. 

The keys you can press to initiate a function on the board are DEL, END, F9 & F12.  F2 doesn't do anything on Gigabyte boards (Z87) series anyway.  There is one other combination we can discuss later.

Flashing the BIOS as a solution was not a good idea.  Using @BIOS instead of QFlash is also not recommended.  You cannot quickly switch between the two chips on the fly.  The switch position determines which chip the system starts from. 

Please answer this question:

There are 2 BIOS switches.  "BIOS_SW" and "SB" - How are yours set?

I assume BIOS_SW is set to 2 (up position) and SB is set to 1 (down position) if not make this change and let me know if the system will start like this.

But back to the first thing:

What OS are you running?
Using a wired keyboard yes/no?
Make a back up if you care about anything
Will the system start with the switch settings referenced above?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:05:41 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

fisyyma

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

OS is Windows 10 pro. Version: 1803

Normally wireless keyboard, but have tried several times with a wired PS2 keyboard which I always keep handy for when I need to boot into the bios and the wireless one doesn’t work.

Created a backup of the original bios before flashing it with the latest. This was done using the option in @BIOS. @BIOS may not be the safest option but couldn’t initiate QFlash because the PC booted straight into windows, which is the problem I’m trying to overcome. Don’t need to back up anything else because I use a separate drive for my data, and have a backup copy on a raid configured server as well.

System was booting up with BIOS_SW set to 2 (backup bios) and SB set to 2 (single bios). Changed the SB switch to 1 (dual bios) as you advised and it still boots up ok. Wont boot with BIOS_SW set to 1 (main bios).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:08:57 pm by fisyyma »

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:41:49 pm »

Normally wireless keyboard, but have tried several times with a wired PS2 keyboard which I always keep handy for when I need to boot into the bios and the wireless one doesn’t work.

Created a backup of the original bios before flashing it with the latest. This was done using the option in @BIOS. @BIOS may not be the safest option but couldn’t initiate QFlash because the PC booted straight into windows, which is the problem I’m trying to overcome. Don’t need to back up anything else because I use a separate drive for my data, and have a backup copy on a raid configured server as well.

System was booting up with BIOS_SW set to 2 (backup bios) and SB set to 2 (single bios). Changed the SB switch to 1 (dual bios) as you advised and it still boots up ok. Wont boot with BIOS_SW set to 1 (main bios).

Thanks for the helpful info.

1.  Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced Start Up

This might get you into the BIOS

2. Try cold boot, press and hold ALT+F10 (be pressing and holding those keys) down from the moment the power button is pressed.  If successful, you can synchronize the BIOS chips.  You'll see what to do if it works.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

fisyyma

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:29 pm »

Thanks for the helpful info.

1.  Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced Start Up

This might get you into the BIOS

2. Try cold boot, press and hold ALT+F10 (be pressing and holding those keys) down from the moment the power button is pressed.  If successful, you can synchronize the BIOS chips.  You'll see what to do if it works.

Tried both options, but still boots straight into windows.

Fastboot exe shows fast boot as disabled. If I change it to enabled and then reboot, it shows status as enabled. Change it back to disabled and reboot the PC and its back to disabled. That tells me the changes I make using fastboot.exe are happening. fastboot.exe must be questioning the bios for the boot status to be able to report it. So if fast boot is disabled as reported by the bios, then why is it ignoring the setting and booting straight into the operating system, bypassing any Function key I press during startup.

Bios has always been set to boot from a bootable usb (if present). Tried it with a bootable usb linux distro.  Again it ignored any attempt to enter the bios and booted straight into the linux setup, so doesn’t seem to be a windows related problem.,

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:27:29 am »
Difficult one for sure.

Try holding the Shift key when you are in the OS and select restart from the start menu.

In windows 10 the ways to get into BIOS (normally) using PS/2 keyboard are:

DEL key
Advanced Recovery > Troubleshoot in settings
Holding Shift while restarting (accomplishes same as above)

BIOS resync
I recommended ALT+F10 with the hope of getting your main BIOS chip resynchronized.  (BTW) I have tested this on one of my boards and it does work.  Z97 one gen later than yours.

ALT+F12 works on AMD based boards. 

Ultra Fast Boot Disables USB detection (Partial or Full initialization as well as XHCI (older boards).

So where does that leave us.

What about...

Fast Boot option in Power Management - remember W10 uses a hybrid version of hibernate/sleep to start itself more quickly.  Try experimenting.  Disconnect power from board, press and hold power button 30 sec to fully discharge residual power.  Reconnect and retry my key combinations from a "real" cold boot. 

Starting in SAFE Mode (MSCONFIG)?  Now try the Advanced Recovery Troubleshoot option or shift key.  Safe Mode is also an advanced start option from this subset of menus.

You can try removing the memory, starting the system "shocking" it then reinstall one DIMM in a random slot, start again, power off, then insert RAM correctly, and restart again.  Note I'm using the term "shock" as in confusing it, not actually doing anything to cause anything electrical to occur.  I cannot with good conscience recommend using unsupported RAM (if you had some laying around), disconnecting the CPU FAN, or 12v ALT power, actually the last being safe and the system most assuredly wouldn't start.  Would rather stick to conventional safe methods. 

Are you sure you've followed the correct steps for CLR_CMOS or BIOS reset (for your board)?  Power connected/disconnected - refer to your manual for the correct procedure. 

Hopefully something above will help.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:31:52 am by shadowsports »

fisyyma

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:28:32 pm »
Already tried most of the things you mention. Now also tried the memory removal. Without the memory the motherboard continually starts and then resets within a few seconds. With the memory back in place, its back to booting straight into the operating system. 
As for the correct method for resetting the bios: I have shorted the reset pins, pressed the bios reset button which this board has. Also removed battery and disconnected the pc power supply from the board and left overnight.

What happens if I start the pc with the backup bios, which is what I am forced to do now. Then use the DOS method to flash the bios with an earlier version. I assume that will only flash the main bios and leave the backup bios intact, in which case I will be no worse off than I am now, and will still be able to start the pc using the backup bios?

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 11:30:28 pm »
Already tried most of the things you mention. Now also tried the memory removal. Without the memory the motherboard continually starts and then resets within a few seconds. With the memory back in place, its back to booting straight into the operating system. 
As for the correct method for resetting the bios: I have shorted the reset pins, pressed the bios reset button which this board has. Also removed battery and disconnected the pc power supply from the board and left overnight.

What happens if I start the pc with the backup bios, which is what I am forced to do now. Then use the DOS method to flash the bios with an earlier version. I assume that will only flash the main bios and leave the backup bios intact, in which case I will be no worse off than I am now, and will still be able to start the pc using the backup bios?

Greetings - A for all your efforts. 

Your flashing question.  The BIOS that the system boots from, is the one that gets flashed.  Doing this, should reset BIOS values to default and give you the option to regain control.  If successful, then ALT+F10 should synchronize the two chips repairing the main BIOS.

However, you need to understand their is considerable risk.  I've seen cases where the boot block gets damaged and/or the hex offset gets changed leaving you with no way to recover or reflash and "broken" chip.  Ya, you unsolder it from the board and put it in a chip reprogrammer you may increase your odds, , but I don't have one laying around for the 1 time is 10 yrs you wish you had or needed one. 

So, understanding the risks,  this will have to be your decision.  I will be interested to learn of your success (which I hope for), or failure.  Good luck!

fisyyma

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 10:27:08 am »
Just read this on the Gigabyte site. It mentions booting from the functioning bios, then using the SW-BIOS switch to select the bios you intend to flash. Even though it doesn't directly relate to my motherboard. I was wondering if it has also been designed to work in the same way.
You mention above that it will flash the bios that the machine was booted from, regardless of the SW_BIOS switch position at the time of flashing. Clearly that isn't the case for all Gigabyte motherboards, but I can't find any information on this regarding mine, so unless someone can confirm whether this is, or isn't the case, it may be worth a try. 

How to fix corrupt BIOS ROM with BIOS Switch (BIOS_SW)?

Related Model ( 5 )
GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z270X-Gaming 8 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0)
X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI (rev. 1.0)
X399 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0)

Please follow below procedure to fix corrupt BIOS ROM that not physically damaged:
Turn off the computer.
Adjust SB switch to Single BIOS mode.
Adjust BIOS switch (BIOS_SW) to the functional BIOS.
Boot up the computer and enter BIOS mode to load BIOS default setting.
Adjust BIOS Switch (BIOS_SW) to the non-working BIOS.
Flash the BIOS by using Q-Flash.
Reboot and confirm if BIOS is working.
Shut down the computer and adjust BIOS Switch (BIOS_SW) to original BIOS.
Boot up the computer and confirm BIOS are working properly.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 03:45:37 pm »
Greetings,
The issue for you remains...  you can't get into the BIOS.  How are you going to flash using QFLASH?

By all means please try it, if you can figure out how to get into QFLASH.  There is another possible scenario, but I can't say what might happen.  Boot into windows BIOS2, change switches to BIOS1, perform @BIOS flash, and if you're lucky, the system will flash BIOS1.  Big "if" here.

But again, considerable risk.  If you can send the link to this page/article you referenced, I'd appreciate it.

The lack of clear documentation is what we are up against here. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:47:06 pm by shadowsports »

fisyyma

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 08:35:09 pm »
Greetings,
The issue for you remains...  you can't get into the BIOS.  How are you going to flash using QFLASH?

By all means please try it, if you can figure out how to get into QFLASH.  There is another possible scenario, but I can't say what might happen.  Boot into windows BIOS2, change switches to BIOS1, perform @BIOS flash, and if you're lucky, the system will flash BIOS1.  Big "if" here.

But again, considerable risk.  If you can send the link to this page/article you referenced, I'd appreciate it.

The lack of clear documentation is what we are up against here.

Was hoping I can flash this from DOS. Not sure if that is possible with it being a UEFI Bios?

Here is the link to the article: Doesn't mention that it works for my motherboard, but then it doesn't warn me that it wont work with motherboards other than the ones listed.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/3876

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 03:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the link.  Have no idea if AWDFLASH will work from bootable USB and your board.  Again, no documentation. 

According to the referenced article, the switches can be used in QFLASH to flash BIOS1 or BIOS2.  Don't know if this works in DOS. 

Flashing should reset the BIOS to defaults, getting you out of your FastBoot dilemma.  Will appreciate knowing the outcome.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:37:55 pm by shadowsports »

fisyyma

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 11:50:57 am »
Thanks for the link.  Have no idea if AWDFLASH will work from bootable USB and your board.  Again, no documentation. 

According to the referenced article, the switches can be used in QFLASH to flash BIOS1 or BIOS2.  Don't know if this works in DOS. 

Flashing should reset the BIOS to defaults, getting you out of your FastBoot dilemma.  Will appreciate knowing the outcome.

Will have a go at reflashing in a couple of days. Got a few items that I need to get finishes first, just in case I end up without a working PC. Going to email Gigabyte in the meantime with a couple of questions. Will let you know the outcome.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:18 pm »
Any updates.  Outcome?

fisyyma

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:29 pm »
Hi shadowsports. Thanks for your continued interest in my bios problem. No update yet. Taken a bit longer to get my work completed.
Got a replacement motherboard in my Amazon basket just in case things don't work out and I need to replace the motherboard. Will post the outcome on here whichever way it goes.