Official GIGABYTE Forum

X570 Aorus Xtreme - Weird BIOS problem. No post

Deepcuts

X570 Aorus Xtreme - Weird BIOS problem. No post
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:24:01 pm »
Hello,

Writing this in case others have the same issue.

My settings are stock, beside setting XMP, fan curve and disabling the on-board audio.
The PC just shutdown while stress testing with AIDA64 and would not boot again. It was not posting even after unplugging/plugging the power cord.
Unplugged the power cord and after ~10 seconds pushed the clear CMOS button.
Took a while, I would say 1 minute, but the board posted and started to boot like nothing happened. No message that I just clear CMOS, just straight into the OS. Everything was working OK.
Checking with hwinfo I could see the RAM was reset to default 2133 Mhz so I knew the CMOS was cleared at least.
Did a reboot and entered BIOS. Only after entering BIOS I got the message that the CMOS was cleared.
I set all the usual stuff, F10 and saved. No post again, even after 5 minutes.
I repeated the process 3 times. Clear CMOS, straight into OS without any warning that the CMOS was cleared, reboot, enter BIOS, set things up, save...no post.
Last try I just entered BIOS and pressed F10 + save without setting anything else. Same behavior.
When I tried to enter BIOS right after I cleared CMOS (without letting the OS boot), BIOS navigation was very very slow. Like 5 or more seconds to react to any key press.

So, a last clear CMOS, booted to OS, installed @BIOS and flashed the latest F5b BIOS again.
@BIOS threw a 500 error on all the available servers. Had to download the file. Good job with that.
This was the only way to fix it.
The board posts normally now, but this kind of behavior is unexpected...to say the least from a top tier motherboard.
Also, backup BIOS via the two switches on the board did exactly nothing. I am so happy I have two BIOS chips on my shiny board. /s

Hope this never happens to anyone else and I just drew the short straw on a very rare bug.
But if it happens, don't waste your time. Just flash the BIOS again.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: X570 Aorus Xtreme - Weird BIOS problem. No post
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:17:19 pm »
Greetings,
In situations where your board has BIOS switches.  It is possible to control which BIOS the board starts from and also to resynchronize the BIOS' with one another.

How this is done.  Set BIOS SW to the BIOS you want to boot from (1-2) and (single) mode.  After power on, use ALT+F10 or ALT+F12 to invoke BIOS Sync.  Which depends on your BIOS type (AMI or AWARD).

When you are ready to Sync, change the (single/dual) switch back to dual and perform the sync.  Once complete, enter BIOS and make desired settings.  This can help correct issues like the one your describe.

One word of advice.  Do not use @BIOS to upgrade or downgrade your BIOS.  This is asking for trouble and introduces and point of failure into the flash. Stick with a FAT formatted USB stick, BIOS file copied to the root and use QFLASH.  Suggest you not take chances, using @BIOS is not worth the risk.       
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:22:20 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Deepcuts

Re: X570 Aorus Xtreme - Weird BIOS problem. No post
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:59:36 pm »
Yes,  know how the BIOS switches work. Yet, they did not work this time for me. No post at all.
About @BIOS, I never had problems with it. Used it on hundreds of boards without issues, but ymmv.
Also, I used @BIOS seeing that any attempt to save or exit the BIOS even without saving resulted in no post.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:03:19 pm by Deepcuts »