Official GIGABYTE Forum

SATA ports

SATA ports
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:55:10 pm »
I have GA-990FX-Gaming (1.0).  Previous mobos' SATA ports just 'worked'.  I’ve built with 2 previous generations/versions.  With this one, they just barely work.  When I asked about this years ago, I was told [phone call] that SATA drives had to be 'directly' plugged into the mobo.   When I countered that it was not possible to do this, the statement was modified so that a 'cable' must be used to connect HD to ports.  What was meant by this is that you get only 1 cable.  That cable cannot then plug into some 'wall'/socket, on the other side of which is another connector/socket into which a SATA HD might be plugged - which has always previously been allowable, that is, those HD swapping drawers/racks/fixtures 'worked' and they still do on other manufacturer's mobos. 
Consistent with this shortcoming is that this mobo BIOS does not have power switching of SATA ports – the user can no longer 'eject'/dismount a SATA drive.
My question is this: do the SATA ports on your newer mobos 'work' as before or are they still 'weak'?  From the above, we can see that the answer to this question is revealed when we ask, does current mobo BIOS include specifying switchable power to (some) SATA ports?  This setting is either there or it is not.

Deepcuts

Re: SATA ports
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:23:59 pm »
You are asking if newer motherboards have SATA hot-plug?. At least this is what I understand you are asking with "switchable power"
Your motherboard states in the user manual at page 29 that:

SATA Hot Plug on PORT0~SATA Hot Plug on PORT5
Enables or disable the hot plug capability for each SATA port. (Default: Disabled)
SATA Power on PORT0~SATA Power on PORT5
Enables or disables each SATA port. (Default: Enabled)

So your motherboard has hot-plug SATA capability.
Please note that not all SATA docks/enclosures are hot-plug compatible even if your motherboard's SATA ports are.
I worked with quite a few of them and even if the product description stated that they are hot-plug, plug&play and all that jazz compatible, they were not.

Also, off topic: CLEAN them fans! :p
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:25:33 pm by Deepcuts »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 03:01:19 pm »
DeepCuts,
Thumbs Up.

All I have to add.  Chipset (card) and PIN out could also affect hot plug capability/compatibility.  Even the Marvell 6G on my Z97 supports it.

I keep my fans and innards of my case clean too  :P   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 01:50:35 am »
THANK YOU.  THANK YOU.  THANK YOU.  Best possible answer.  I did not have manual - just installation material.  I will use these BIOS inputs to support my HD trays.