Official GIGABYTE Forum

Booting Issues

matta

Booting Issues
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »
So heres the deal...I just rebuilt my computer in a new case and added a new CPU cooler. Now the computer will not boot.

I get it to startup and it runs for about 5 seconds and then the PSU shuts off. It then starts up again and continues to cylce but never boots. I never hear it get to Post.

So I reseated the CPU cooler, took out 2 of the 4 RAM modules and booted with nothing but the CPU fan and GPU connected, still nothing.

What can I check or what reasons could there be to why its not booting?

Whitehot

Re: Booting Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:11:57 pm »
I hate it when that happens!!   ???

It could be shorting somewhere on your new case?  Or mabye something is not quite seated properly.... CPU, VGA card, memory etc??

Sorry if you've tried that already, but worth a go.

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:05 am »
Have you got the 4 pin power connected?
Any beep codes from speaker?

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
Make sure everything is seated correctly. Do you have a PSU tester or any means of testing the psu? Is it possible to borrow a graphics card/memory off a friend to see if its either of those?
You could try clearing the CMOS but you do risk loosing any overclock settings if they have not been saved
There's no place like ::1

Badbonji

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:56 am »
What cpu cooler is this?
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:25:32 pm »
Assuming the PC all worked before the cooler change, then it won't be the following..
1. It won't be GPU
2. It won't be memory - unless you re-seated it in the process, in which case, why?
3. It SHOULDN'T be the PSU unless the cooler requires a molex or similar plug - HOWEVER - if you changed cooler, check that you've not unplugged the 4/8PIN motherboard power connecter by accident during the process

I get it to startup and it runs for about 5 seconds and then the PSU shuts off. It then starts up again and continues to cylce but never boots. I never hear it get to Post.

Did it "beep" before you installed the cooler?

Which cooler did you install?

Did you clean off the original TIM? If so, what with? You may have got TIM on the circuitry or your cleaner that you used that may have shorted the board.

Check the 4/8pin power motherboard power connector hasn't come loose or came out.

Check the cooler mount isn't making contact with the board (metal clips, screws etc) - if you're using a mounting plate make sure the washers are correctly in place or this will short the board.

~Bex