Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z390 Designare coil whine noise (F9B).

AlexS

Z390 Designare coil whine noise (F9B).
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:01:18 pm »
Hello

I'm getting a lot of digital noise coming out of the motherboard. Predominantly through the audio output of the motherboard itself. The more the CPU is the more digital noise I hear. It can get quite loud.

I don't have RGB lights however I don't see an option to turn them off in the latest bios. I don't see a "spread spectrum" option either.

Please help, this PC is mostly for recording music, I get these noises (quieter) though my external audio interface.

Yes the mains is balanced. Def coil whine.

I9-9900K and BIOS ver F9B.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:02:20 pm by AlexS »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Z390 Designare coil whine noise (F9B).
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:33:36 pm »
Greetings,
Coil whine is not something that would usually occur on a system who's primary role was music recording.  Anything is possible however. 

Can you provide your full system specs? 

I'm not sure what "Yes, the mains are balanced" means exactly?  (Can you elaborate)

What do you have connected, and to where?

It sounds like you are describing some type of feedback or noise caused by impendence or ground?  Do you have a video so we can hear the "whine"?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:34:24 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

AlexS

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:01:06 pm »
Greetings,
Coil whine is not something that would usually occur on a system who's primary role was music recording.  Anything is possible however. 

Can you provide your full system specs? 

I'm not sure what "Yes, the mains are balanced" means exactly?  (Can you elaborate)

What do you have connected, and to where?

It sounds like you are describing some type of feedback or noise caused by impendence or ground?  Do you have a video so we can hear the "whine"?

I built this PC. The primary purpose is audio recording, I am a sound engineer and have been building PCs since the 90s. Do you think if I made its primary purpose to play games or use Microsoft Office the sound would go away? :)

This is definitely coil whine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_acoustic_noise

The audio cables are balanced. So is the mains.
This is not mains hum.
I've been through all the motions.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, I've made it myself.

Other gigabyte boards have settings in bios to turn off RGB and sort out this noise. As I mentioned "spread spectrum".

I assume this facility is not available with this motherboard BIOS? That is my specific question for this thread. Otherwise I will need to contact Gigabyte support.

Thx.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:04:55 pm by AlexS »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 03:47:35 pm »

I built this PC. The primary purpose is audio recording, I am a sound engineer and have been building PCs since the 90s. Do you think if I made its primary purpose to play games or use Microsoft Office the sound would go away? :)

This is definitely coil whine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_acoustic_noise

The audio cables are balanced. So is the mains.
This is not mains hum.
I've been through all the motions.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, I've made it myself.

Other gigabyte boards have settings in bios to turn off RGB and sort out this noise. As I mentioned "spread spectrum".

I assume this facility is not available with this motherboard BIOS? That is my specific question for this thread. Otherwise I will need to contact Gigabyte support.

Thx.

Hi Alex,
I can't assume anything.  I asked for your system specs in order to get a better understanding of your environment.  If you get noise without any audio connected, its "coil whine".  I'm not questioning your diagnosis, just trying to help.

In regards to my question about use.  Coil whine is more common on systems subjected to heavy load.  Not typically sound recording.  in the majority of these cases, "noise" is often the result of line level impendence, a loop, inadequate ground or not using SPDIF.  Things I know you are familiar with. 

To answer your questions, no, the BIOS does not have a setting for spread spectrum modulation.   

RGB Control.  There is a setting under Peripherals > LEDs in System Power On State which controls system LED behavior.  I have played with it extensively on my Z390 Systems, (have 2) and haven't noticed any system or audio related feedback.  Worth a look anyway.

If you are using USB 3.0 DAC-UP 2 (Output Voltage of USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports on the Back Panel), there could be something there as well.

Hope you get it figured out.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:50:51 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW